Carvin Tube vs. non Carvin Tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slick519, Nov 27, 2002.

1. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well, i found a good RL1000 all tube head online. now, i have never had any experience with these, but i really like the newer, non-tube carvin RL1000s. is there any huge differences in tone, or quality?

thanks a ton

ps, i did do a search but found nothing...
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    The older RL heads are not all tube--they just have one 12AX7 tube stage in the preamp that can be dialed in with the blend knob. It doesn't really color the clean sound, but puts some grind into the sound when the input level is turned up.

I haven't compared my R600-II with one of the series III heads, but I can get "my tone" with it.
  3. dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    I have the R1000 series III and didn't much care for the emulator. It gives the impression of tube distortion but sounded buzzy to me. The amp itself is powerful and clean however. If the price is right you could go with a tube overdrive pedal or similar, or even feed the power amp section with the output of a rack mount tube preamp.

They sell new for about $650 plus shipping. I've seen them go for as little as $300 on ebay (and this was not looking hard). Good luck!!!