Carvin Users: Pickup Question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey guys...I'm getting an LB20 soon and the
    specifications pretty much look like this..

Body Color: Classic White
    Body: Rounded Body Sides $40
    Hardware: Add Dunlop Strap Locks $10
    Pickups: Replace single coils with H50 Stacked Humbuckers $20
    Neck Options: Ebony Fingerboard with Mother-of-Pearl block inlays. $60

Question: I don't know if I should replace the pickups. Should I spend the extra 20 bucks on the stacked humbuckers or is this an issue of "what kind of tone do I want as they produce different sounds"...If so, what are their tonal differences?

Thanks guys!
  2. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Sounds like a nice axe! :)

Well, this question would probably receive a lot more replies on the Carvin BBS

But, nevertheless, I'll tell you this much. I have a 2001 Carvin LB75P and ordered it with the H50N stacked humbucker option for the neck PUP. I'd always heard that the H50 was weaker sounding than the J99, but to be honest, I liked it a lot.

But, I'd also heard people claim that Carvin PUPs and electronics stunk, which I seriously disagree with, now that I have more gear to compare them against. So, as a test, I pulled the stacked H50 and replaced it with a Bart 59J.

Well, I have to admit that the tone is definately different. The Bart has a warmer, "jazzier" sound, which I like. I really don't see much difference in terms of output though.

Anyway, as I'm sure you know, this is a very subjective area. I wouldn't recommend *not* getting the stacked H50, but for me, I like the Bart a little better. Of course, you can't get a Bart from Carvin, so perhaps this is a moot point.

Regardless, I hope this helps.
  3. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Thanks for clearing that up..already posted on the Carvin site and I was told the J's sound a bit more aggressive but noisy while the stacked sounds "sweeter".

Anyways, I asked the forumites there if the color of the headstock matches with the body a standard feature or is it a custom option. I think 3 said I have to pay the extra 30 bucks, otherwise it would be a clear mapled headstock and 1 guy said since its neck-thru, the color of the headstock will be white and its a standard feature.

I'm lost. Could you help me out?
  4. I took out the J99's in my BB70F and replaced them with Bart 9J1's. I don't thing the carvin electronics are really worth a crap....but the ergos / feel / construction / look is absolutely wonderful. Replacing electronics is easy.

BTW, the preamp failed on I needed to replace it. I am sooooooooo happy I went w/ the full bart setup and would recommend it to any J-style bass owner. It'd prolly be close to $280-$300 to do so.
  5. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Hi TN,

Just curious.... how old is your Carvin, and do you have the old or newer (18V) electronics? Most folks I've run into that disliked or had probs with the electronics had the older version.

BTW, I'm with you 100% on the ergos / feel / construction. I just wish I wouldda ordered mine with tung oil on the back of the neck instead of gloss.
  6. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Yeah, I just read that post over there. To be honest, I'd have to agree with Mike (mgood1). He's been 100% accurate on everything he's ever told me and countless others. Still, it would be best to call and speak with one of the Carvin reps. But, if this wasn't possible, and I had to bet one way or another, I'd go with whatever Mike posted in response to your question.
  7. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I have owned a few Carvin's and I like them. They have a great fit and finish but I'm not a big fan of the tone. The pick-ups are very hot... high output but I think the tone is average at best. I do think you will enjoy the fast neck and low action.
  8. Older. Was a 9v system. My BB70F is tung oiled. Super way to go. Highly recommended.

I really don't like the fact that carvin went with a L/L J pickup config. Both bridge and neck P/U's are the long version. I understand it from a manufactuer's standpoint....but it makes getting replacement pickups a potential problem.
  9. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't think the electronics suck in my (18 volt) active bass. The tone is very *alive*.

If I were you, cone41...I would probably get the stacked humbuckers because I like the sound of humbuckers over J99's. But as you said this is subjective...I think I've read posts by people that like the J's much better...:confused:
  10. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I agree. I *love* the tone of my late model Carvin with the 18V electronics. Like I mentioned before, I prefer the Bart 59J over the H50 in the neck position, but then, to be fair, I've never had a J99 in the neck position on mine, so..... perhaps if I did, I never would've swapped mine. But still, the H50 in the neck on a late model Carvin was pretty dang sweet! Just didn't sound like the Bart, but you get the idea. :)