1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin Users: What do you think of your B string? Post here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Oct 11, 2009.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I have liquidated a couple of basses and I would really like to get a custom carvin built for me. Every Carvin i've had, I've liked but there was always one thing that bothered me (fretboard wood, neck radius, body wood, color, etc...). So I have decided that I am gonna take the plunge and custom order my own. If I don't like it I will send it back within 10 days.

I prefer passive basses, but finding a good passive 5 that fits my needs has been hard for me. Also, even if I do go active I like that Carvin has a bypass to go to passive mode.

I feel like Carvin is the best route to go and would like your opinion on the B strings of the Carvin basses you have.

Thanks in advance!

Here is what i'm looking at getting:

The new B50:
    [​IMG]

The Sb5000:
    [​IMG]

The Good ole B5:
    [​IMG]

2. I've owned a 5 string Carvin (BK5A) that I built from a kit and I briefly owned a BB75. The BB had a good B string, better than the BK5A. I'm not sure but the wider neck on the BB75 may have had something to do with it, plus I loved the feel of the asymetrical neck.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    +1
    The B on my BB75 is absolutely great.

4. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Just returned a LB75 and it had hands down the best b string I've ever heard. Sounded exactly like the other strings clear and punchy.

Killed me to return it but apparantly the rounded body sides makes a huge difference in comfort.

5. LP75

LP75

Aug 29, 2006
    Seattle
    You have only bolt-on basses listed, so I can't say about them. But my good old LB75 has a B-string that is solid, clear and punchy. It's not as consistent as the B on my Modulus Q5, but that's how it is with wood.

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
  7. Bassist01545

Bassist01545 Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2006
    I have a Carvin BB75P--great low B string

I've owned 5 string Fender Jazz, G&L 5000. G&L l2500. LAkland USA 5 string and 3 MM stingrays--I'd put my Carvin up against any of them--B string, playability, (go for the Asymetrical neck) and quality of build

Watch out for the string spacing, they offer a standard (a bit tight which I like) and the wide--depending on your playing style

8. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I have an LB75 with the wider asymmetrical neck. It is neck through. I like the B a LOT. I did swap out the pre for a 4 band Audere, which really opened up the tonal range and even solidified the B.

DSC00330.

9. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I have a 17 YO LB-75 and I have no complaints about the B.
    To my ears, it has the same presence as the other strings, though to be fair, I dont use the low B all that much.

I've had that bass longer than any other one I've ever owned, that must say SOMETHING! :D

10. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I have an LB75F. The B string is fine.

11. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    I have an LB75 from 1996. I ordered mine with the wider asymetrical neck.
    I love my bass. Its B is solid and has a great feel to it. I use Carvin strings and I think because they're taper wound, it gives a better feel.

I'm sure the XB75 feels even better.

12. Beautiful!

I need another bass like a hole in the head but now you've got me lusting after another Carvin.

13. Now that is a nice looking bass. I've always heard good things about Carvin, although I have never played one.
    Does anyone know about their bass amps?