Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslax, Nov 30, 2000.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i just noticed that some carvin models that are about $800 bucks list for about $3000. normally if a bass lists for $3000 it would be at least $1500?? is carvin trying to impress people by raising lists, or are they really comparable with $3000 basses? I really like the LB75 walnut model...

thanks

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Carvins are a good value, but since they don't sell them in stores they can put any list that they want in the catalog or on the website. The fact that they are only sold factory direct kind of makes the list price a come on IMHO.

But if you compare apples to apples, compare an $800 Carvin to a bass that would cost you $800 cash, such as a Fender American series, Peavey Cirrus or a Warwick Streamer Standard, I think that the Carvin blows away the Warwick, beats the Fender everywhere except for tone, and is a dead heat with the Peavey, although, depending on your personal tastes, one might like the Peavey's tone, another the Carvin's.

3. noweapon

noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    It is kind of stupid for Carvin to post "list" prices. Where can you buy new Carvin amps, basses, Guitars etc othe than form Carvin dircectly?? Pretty much nowhere. that being said, Carvin IS a good bang-for-your-buck deal. I have they're "Cyclops" combo for my smaller gigs and and it serves me well. I have heard nothing but good things about the basses...

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I own an LB70 and,for the most part, it's a fine instrument. It has great slap tone,playibility and electronics. Is it perfect? No. I could nitpick things about it but I've done that with every bass I've owned.That's why I never seem to keep one around for very long. (God,please help me find the perfect bass.) I bought a used one for less than $500. I would challenge anyone to find a better deal for the money.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Carvins are a great value considering their fit and finish, but their resale is lousy. If you buy a Carvin, play it, don't sell it. If you buy a used Carvin, good for you!

As for list prices, pay them no mind. I have no idea who sets these, but for the most part they're pie in the sky, mickey mouse numbers that have little connection to reality.

6. I also think the Carvin list prices are there for show. And I also agree that overall they are a great value.

The down side is you can't try them out before you buy and if you do buy one new and eventually decided it's not for you, you'll lose your ass when you try to resell it (I'm talking from experience here). You can certainly find some great deals on used Carvins if you look hard enough and that's probably the safest way to go. If you do decide to buy a new one, don't plan on selling it unless you have money to burn because that's what you'll be doing (did I already say I'm talking from experience here??).:)

7. I use a walnut Carvin fretless LB75. For the money, it is probably the best bass I have owned. The Warwick and the Alembic were both better axes, but cost 2-3 times as much. And the Carvin came with a hardshell case. The $2500 Warwick came with a ******* gig bag! For $2500!!!!!!! Gimme a break. The Carvin with a few options was less than $900.

8. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I have quite a lot of Carvin gear. I keep buying Carvin stuff because, frankly, it always wins out in "bang-for-the-buck" in my opinion. I keep comparing, shopping, testing, using...and kicking the tires. Carvin keeps coming out on top for the price. I would guess that Carvin gear (in general) compares to other brands costing twice as much. At any rate, it's certainly worth a test-drive to see if it meets your needs. Is it for everyone? Nope...no such animal exists.

9. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    I have not yet had the opportunity to try out a Carvin bass, but i will tell you that their warrantee policy is tops. One of the bands I was in, the guitarist had a Carvin
    P.A. system, he loaned it out to a friend of his for a church gig, his friend didn't know that the church's electrical system had a reverse polarity, and it smoked the board, my friend sent it back to Carvin for repairs, consious of the fact that the warrantee period had expired,
    and waited for the bill. Carvin replaced the board with a new one, at NO CHARGE, stating that the warantee period is
    just to cover their butts against abused equipment, and that they try to cover their equipment for LIFE. I admire that kind of faith in their equipment.
    like I said, I have not had a chance to play one yet, but the only complaint I have from their website about their basses is that the are not available in a 35" scale. I have talked to many other bassists about Carvin, and they ALL say that they are probably the best deal going, and that, soundwise, they are comparable to basses costing 2 to 3 times as much.

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've bought Carvin stuff and I never paid attention to their "list" pricing. It's just a marketing tool. I find that conventional manufacturer, (read: go through middlemen), list prices are commonly 22%-32% higher than what the dealers sell the stuff for. I think Carvin's "list prices" are hypothetical because the costs of supporting a dealer network, regional corporate sales forces, and local authorized repair centers are enormous and can only be figured into Carvin's list pricing through a formula, which can be anything they want. However, you do get a hell of a deal through them since those expenses I mentioned before aren't built into what the customer pays. Evidently, they have put a lot of their dollars into research. If you compare their gear from 7 years ago to what they offer now, it doesn't even look like it's being made by the same company. IMHO, while their amps have some areas that need to be improved, their Redline heads are like a "rack in a box."

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Don't ask ;)

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The problem I have with Carvin really isn't a problem for me but it is for people who aren't well-versed in buying gear.

For example Bass Player magazine will do a shootout and compare a Carvin bass that "sells" for $800 to another manufacturer's that "retails" for the same price. You end up with a comparison between a bass with an $800 street price vs. one that sells for around $500...that's a pretty big difference.

This doesn't mean Carvin is evil, just make sure you're comparing selling prices all around. I won't talk about resale value;)

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I tried a Carvin 6-string in the Bass Gallery in Camden London, which usually has very exotic and high-end basses. The Carvin had a fairly high price and looked very nice - quilt maple top. But when I tried it, it sounded very ordinary and nothing like as good as any of the other US-made basses they had - like Sadowsky, Alembic etc. I think the "rarity" factor had put up the price, but to me it wasn't anything to write home about. But I suppose it was difficult to price, as you don't see them over here at all. From memory it was just under £1,000, which is at least $1500 equivalent. Whereas I would have been happy to pay twice as much for one of the Sadowskys they had I wouldn't have paid half the offered price of the Carvin.

15. Bruce L, I think the weakness of the Carvin's tone is in the pickups. They're decent, but certainly nothing to write home about. I'm thinking of getting an LB75 with the bridge humbucker, which many people have said sounds a whole lot better.

16. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

I'm beggin',Brad. What'd ya find?

I understand fully your second post. I am reasonably well experienced in buying gear. My point,more than anything, was,and I should have phrased it differently, it was the best deal I've found so far for under $500.

So what'd ya find, brother?

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Carvin has 5 stores in California. As far as I know, all 5 are in Southern California. I have tried to go to one, but haven't gotten the chance. Perhaps they sell at the list price in the stores. I'm not sure.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Paleale, I've bought way too many and found way too many basses to completely list but here's a few:

Used basses I have seen or bought (b)
    -------------------------------------
    97 Fender MIA Jazz Deluxe 5 (b)bought a second one for $550
    81 G&L L2000E (b)$275 & several other G&L's
    MusicMan Sterling
    78 Fender Jazz (b)$485 with original case, mint.
    MTD K5
    Cort Artisan B4FL fretless
    70's Guild 302 (b)$300
    Hagstrom Swede (b)$250
    Guild Pilot (original series)
    Alembic Epic
    Epiphone El Capitan fretless 5 ABG (b)$450
    several LB75's and a few LB76's

These are all within the last year or so except for the Hagstrom. I just bought a $3900 custom 7 string bass for $1000.

Buying used is my preferred way. Carvins are nice instruments, people love them... I bought a new LB75 fretless 5 a few years ago and sold it at a very minimal loss. There are other choices, though, that IMO are the equal or better of an LB70. That doesn't make your opinion any less valid, in my mind.

20. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I have some used carvin gear. I bought a 4x10 cab at the store used for $250.00 I think I got a very good cab for the money I paid. I had a chance to try in the store and A/B with a newer version that has the HUGE logo and red tweater. Same sound minus the adjustable tweater.

Anyway here is my revelation to those outside of Southern California. The sale price for a 4x10 cab is the same in the store as online. The only benift is you can try the gear out first. I like to try before I buy in everycase (except food) Something in the price range of $200+ it seems unheard of to take a chance on getting a lemon Online.
    Especially when I have to pay for the return shipping.