Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin vs avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adamaarts, Mar 24, 2003.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    i was looking at the carvin RL210 and the avatar 2x10. i need one to compliment my carvin RL115.

please owners of these only, give me your comments , good or bad. im puishing more for the carvin, but ive recently heard of avatar and dont know how they sound at all.

2. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    i own an avatar 2x10.

i own last years model and i got it off ebay for something like 189! after shipping it was like 230 beans, which is RIDICULOUS!!! mind you the prices have increased (understandably).

anyways, as for a review:

very very clean tone. the mids are really punchy and warm, and the highs are clear and non-harsh thanks to the badazz tweeter dave installs. the bottom end is perfectly suitable for most occasions and for 4 string basses, but seeing as how i like to play my 5er a lot, it tends to lack a little on the extreme low end. but this isn't that big of a deal. i plan on buying an avatar 1x15 from dave to remedy this problem.

the cab is really well made; feels solid as hell whenever i move it around.

do a search on talkbass for avatar and you'll see that a gazillion folks praise dave's products.

and the price is right.

3. I have some experience with Carvin and Avatar. I bought a Carvin R600 head and RL410 cab. I struggled for over a year with that cab to get a decent tone, also, I assumed that Carvin had over-exxagerated the power output of thier heads since my ears were definately not telling me I was hearing a 600 watt system. In a chance I dumped the carvin cab and was in the process of selling the head when I bought the avatar 410 cab. Needless to say I kept the Carvin head. The avatar really brings the tone out of the head and is way louder. I get so much deeper lows I am sometimes amazed.

Personally, I would never buy another Carvin cab. I'd build my own cab first....or buy an Avatar!

4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I bought my Carvin 2-10 3 years ago to use as a stand alone for rehearsals or with my carvin 15" loaded fender cab. The 2-10 works great for rehearsals and Church with my 5 string. I have also close miced it for outdoor gigs and it sounds great. I had a chance to A/B it with an Eden right after purchasing and thought it was more transparent (the eden added something) and a bargain at half the price. I don't use the horn. I haven't tried the Avatar, but folks seem very happy with those also.

5. I hated my rl410t. My friend has an avatar that i think is a great cab, regardles of price. the avatar represents better value than nearly everything on the market, while offering a very good product (and dont get me started on customer service!).

6. Avatar, without a doubt.

The drivers are better quality than the emminence carvin uses, with better specs (louder).

Theres always the new avatar 212 as well...