carvin vs avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adamaarts, Mar 24, 2003.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    i was looking at the carvin RL210 and the avatar 2x10. i need one to compliment my carvin RL115.

please owners of these only, give me your comments , good or bad. im puishing more for the carvin, but ive recently heard of avatar and dont know how they sound at all.
  2. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    i own an avatar 2x10.

i own last years model and i got it off ebay for something like 189! after shipping it was like 230 beans, which is RIDICULOUS!!! mind you the prices have increased (understandably).

anyways, as for a review:

very very clean tone. the mids are really punchy and warm, and the highs are clear and non-harsh thanks to the badazz tweeter dave installs. the bottom end is perfectly suitable for most occasions and for 4 string basses, but seeing as how i like to play my 5er a lot, it tends to lack a little on the extreme low end. but this isn't that big of a deal. i plan on buying an avatar 1x15 from dave to remedy this problem.

the cab is really well made; feels solid as hell whenever i move it around.

do a search on talkbass for avatar and you'll see that a gazillion folks praise dave's products.

and the price is right.
  3. I have some experience with Carvin and Avatar. I bought a Carvin R600 head and RL410 cab. I struggled for over a year with that cab to get a decent tone, also, I assumed that Carvin had over-exxagerated the power output of thier heads since my ears were definately not telling me I was hearing a 600 watt system. In a chance I dumped the carvin cab and was in the process of selling the head when I bought the avatar 410 cab. Needless to say I kept the Carvin head. The avatar really brings the tone out of the head and is way louder. I get so much deeper lows I am sometimes amazed.

Personally, I would never buy another Carvin cab. I'd build my own cab first....or buy an Avatar!
  4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I bought my Carvin 2-10 3 years ago to use as a stand alone for rehearsals or with my carvin 15" loaded fender cab. The 2-10 works great for rehearsals and Church with my 5 string. I have also close miced it for outdoor gigs and it sounds great. I had a chance to A/B it with an Eden right after purchasing and thought it was more transparent (the eden added something) and a bargain at half the price. I don't use the horn. I haven't tried the Avatar, but folks seem very happy with those also.
  5. I hated my rl410t. My friend has an avatar that i think is a great cab, regardles of price. the avatar represents better value than nearly everything on the market, while offering a very good product (and dont get me started on customer service!).
  6. Avatar, without a doubt.

The drivers are better quality than the emminence carvin uses, with better specs (louder).

Theres always the new avatar 212 as well...