Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin vs Genz Benz vs GK-Neo 2x12 Shootout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass-shy, Nov 6, 2005.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Each of these 2x12 Neo cabs are from relatively respected manufacturers and they all look promising. I have compared the specs and prices but I can't seem to make up my mind. Does anyone have any of these cabs? I won't have the opportunity to try before I buy, so I would like to make an informed decision. Right now, I am leaning toward the Carvin, due to the $$ savings. The additional weight isn't an issue for me. I need to have a lot of punch and a solid bottom end, which all of these cabs claim to deliver. I will be running a Carvin R600 into it and I play a lot of slap-funk and some heavier, psychedelic stuff. Also, I never use a pick, so I will need to be able to dial in some sharp attack, if need be. Any opinions are appreciated.

One more thing, I did a search but I didn't find a comprehensive comparison of these cabs. I would also like to stay away from Avatar and other budget companies if possible. Thanks.

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I have the BRX12. The cu vol in the BRX is greater than the others mentioned so it will go lower more easily. You will love this cab. The handles are mounted too low however, just remove the handles & turn them upsidedown & this will fix it. You should do this before you try to lift it for the 1st time.

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have a Cyclops Combo that I flipped the handles on. It's much easier to move now. Is the BRX a capable stand-alone cab? I haven't been able to find a single review! Thanks for your help.

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm getting a Genz-Benz 2-12 neo very soon; it's very impressive sounding, and very light. I hear great things about the GK, but I doubt I could get one for the price I'm getting the GB for.

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Does anyone else own any of these cabs? I will be picking one of them up this week, (hopefully), and would like more opinions. Please help.

6. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Yep, I've had a G-B NeoX 212T for over a year now and I love it! I bought it to replace a 410 and never looked back. It has great warm, deep, lush tone and all of the volume I need. I'm "olde school" so I have the tweeter turned off. It's just a great, light weight, versatile cabinet. I'd buy another ina New York Minute!

7. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    The BRX12 is a good stand alone cab. No need for an 18". I never thought I'd be a twelve guy but I am now. I've got the large removable casters. It's cool in a tight monitoring situation to take the back casters off & tilt it back.

8. Basically what he said.

I own the GK Neo 2 x 12. Very nice cabinet, very nice sound. The size and weight are a good balance too. I recommend it.

9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I had the opportunity to test drive a Genz Benz NEOX-212T today. It really is a great cabinet. I wasn't able to get the flexibility I expected out of it, though. It was paired with a GBE600 head, which is also cool. I got a nice, warm sound out of the pair, which is perfect for a lot of players, especially those looking for the old-school vibe, but it didn't give me the kick your teeth out punch I need. I can however see why so many people are so impressed with it. Since I probably won't be able to try out a G-K, I'll probably end up getting the Carvin. Thanks for your help, guys.

10. Your profile says you live in Michigan. LowDown Sound in Detroit might have one or Music Castle in Royal Oak.

11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I would drive down there, but it would take almost all day to get there and back. My work schedule just won't allow that. Thanks for the info, though. TB has always been a helpful place.