Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Vs GL Tribue L2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krovx, Apr 19, 2003.

1. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I am looking at either the Carvin B4 or LB70P. I want active electronics and a humbucker. Whats the main difference between the Tribute series and the regular G&L's? Is it like a Fender MIM and MIA sort of situation? All your help is appreciated. If you have any other bass suggests please give them. I will need to be playing everything from blues, R&b, rock, metal, and funk. This is why I need the active electronics. I am currently playing through an Ampeg B2 and Avatar 410.

2. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Anyone? :confused: :bassist:

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Krovx, happy easter to you.

I am looking at either the Carvin B4 or LB70P.

Bolt on neck versus neck through. Made in USA
    The G&Ls I've tried have had big fat necks, My Carvin is thinner front to back, and to me, much more comfortable to play. YMMV

I want active electronics and a humbucker. Whats the main difference between the Tribute series and the regular G&L's?

Made overseas, costs less, but this is not necessarily bad.

Is it like a Fender MIM and MIA sort of situation?

Yes

All your help is appreciated. If you have any other bass suggests please give them. I will need to be playing everything from blues, R&b, rock, metal, and funk. This is why I need the active electronics.

I used to feel the same way, but I have a LB75 with active/ passive electronics, I run mostly passive. My bass just sounds much more organic played passive.

I am currently playing through an Ampeg B2 and Avatar 410.

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hmm,, Carvin vs. G&L is like an Ibanez Steve Vai vs. a Les Paul. Way different in my opinion. Carvin gives you a clean, punchy, scooped low mid type sound, very thin (and comfortable IMO) neck, and superb construction overall. HOWEVER, I've found that the preamp is horrible IMO, I run it passive 24/7. Also, some people don't like the pickups tone, especially the humbucker.

All the G&L's that I've played had chunky necks, heavy bodies, and growly low mid tones. I don't know about the preamps, I always leave those flat anyways.

Totally different animals if you ask me.

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Tribute vs. US G&Ls:
    - Tribute made in Korea, US made in California
    - Tribute one-piece necks, US bi-cut necks
    - Tribute regular tuners, US tapered aluminum post tuners
    - same pickups (US-made in G&L factory)
    - Tribute imported preamp, US US preamp (I think, not 100% sure on this one)
    - Tribute bridge slightly different than US bridge in manufacture
    - Tribute gig bag, US hardshell case
    - Tribute basswood or ash, US alder or ash
    - options (neck size, ebony fretboards, figured tops, more finishes) available on US models

Tributes are much less expensive, but you can get a used US model for about the same as a brand new Tribute (and it's probably a much better bass). For the SB-2 (P-J model) you can probably find a used US one for less than a new Tribute if you look hard enough.

I mentally equate the Tributes with the Fender MIM Deluxes (with the US active electronics) series.

The G&Ls are very much a different beast from Carvins. I had a B4 for the approval period (all maple, bridge humbucker) and sent it back and got an L-2000 in its place. If you don't like the wider standard G&L neck look for a #6 or #8 neck (1-1/2" wide at the nut) - they come standard on the SB-2 and ASAT (telecaster shaped) basses. I love the G&L #6 neck, very thin and comfortable.

They sound very different but are both well-made so which is better, for you, depends on which you like the sound of better.

6. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah I want a versatile bass. Im checking ebay right now. What would you think of getting a passive bass and getting a preamp that runs alongside my amp? :bassist: I've found a few GL's on ebay that are a little out of my reach but some nice Fender P and J basses. I just don't know what to do :p