1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin Vs GL Tribue L2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krovx, Apr 19, 2003.

1. krovx

krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I am looking at either the Carvin B4 or LB70P. I want active electronics and a humbucker. Whats the main difference between the Tribute series and the regular G&L's? Is it like a Fender MIM and MIA sort of situation? All your help is appreciated. If you have any other bass suggests please give them. I will need to be playing everything from blues, R&b, rock, metal, and funk. This is why I need the active electronics. I am currently playing through an Ampeg B2 and Avatar 410.

2. krovx

krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Anyone? :confused: :bassist:

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Krovx, happy easter to you.

I am looking at either the Carvin B4 or LB70P.

Bolt on neck versus neck through. Made in USA
    The G&Ls I've tried have had big fat necks, My Carvin is thinner front to back, and to me, much more comfortable to play. YMMV

I want active electronics and a humbucker. Whats the main difference between the Tribute series and the regular G&L's?

Made overseas, costs less, but this is not necessarily bad.

Is it like a Fender MIM and MIA sort of situation?

Yes

All your help is appreciated. If you have any other bass suggests please give them. I will need to be playing everything from blues, R&b, rock, metal, and funk. This is why I need the active electronics.

I used to feel the same way, but I have a LB75 with active/ passive electronics, I run mostly passive. My bass just sounds much more organic played passive.

I am currently playing through an Ampeg B2 and Avatar 410.

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hmm,, Carvin vs. G&L is like an Ibanez Steve Vai vs. a Les Paul. Way different in my opinion. Carvin gives you a clean, punchy, scooped low mid type sound, very thin (and comfortable IMO) neck, and superb construction overall. HOWEVER, I've found that the preamp is horrible IMO, I run it passive 24/7. Also, some people don't like the pickups tone, especially the humbucker.

All the G&L's that I've played had chunky necks, heavy bodies, and growly low mid tones. I don't know about the preamps, I always leave those flat anyways.

Totally different animals if you ask me.

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Tribute vs. US G&Ls:
    - Tribute made in Korea, US made in California
    - Tribute one-piece necks, US bi-cut necks
    - Tribute regular tuners, US tapered aluminum post tuners
    - same pickups (US-made in G&L factory)
    - Tribute imported preamp, US US preamp (I think, not 100% sure on this one)
    - Tribute bridge slightly different than US bridge in manufacture
    - Tribute gig bag, US hardshell case
    - Tribute basswood or ash, US alder or ash
    - options (neck size, ebony fretboards, figured tops, more finishes) available on US models

Tributes are much less expensive, but you can get a used US model for about the same as a brand new Tribute (and it's probably a much better bass). For the SB-2 (P-J model) you can probably find a used US one for less than a new Tribute if you look hard enough.

I mentally equate the Tributes with the Fender MIM Deluxes (with the US active electronics) series.

The G&Ls are very much a different beast from Carvins. I had a B4 for the approval period (all maple, bridge humbucker) and sent it back and got an L-2000 in its place. If you don't like the wider standard G&L neck look for a #6 or #8 neck (1-1/2" wide at the nut) - they come standard on the SB-2 and ASAT (telecaster shaped) basses. I love the G&L #6 neck, very thin and comfortable.

They sound very different but are both well-made so which is better, for you, depends on which you like the sound of better.

6. krovx

krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah I want a versatile bass. Im checking ebay right now. What would you think of getting a passive bass and getting a preamp that runs alongside my amp? :bassist: I've found a few GL's on ebay that are a little out of my reach but some nice Fender P and J basses. I just don't know what to do :p