1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

carvin vs kustom vs ashdown vs gk

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kaiser_sosea, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Ashdown Mag 600H

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. Carvin B800

22 vote(s)
    40.7%
  3. Kustom Groove Bass 1200

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. Gallien-Krueger 1001 RB-II

19 vote(s)
    35.2%
  1. I'm looking for a new head to accompany the Avatar B212 & b210 stack on its way. I want something flexible but easy to use @ the same time (i dont like alot of knobs/bells and whistles). My choices thus far given my budget are:

Carvin B800 (used)
    Kustom Groove Bass 1200 (used)
    Ashdown Mag 600h (new)
    Gallien-Krueger 1001 RB-II (new or used)

I know right off the bat everyone will probs vote Gallien-Krueger but I didnt want to spend that much if I didnt have to. I am keen on the fact that the Carvin and Kustom accept 2ohm loads and the controls seem very easy to use. But alas it would appear I missed the boat on the carvin and it may take a while to find a good used one as they seem to be very popular. Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts and suggestions and if you could tell me why you feel the way you do about these heads or suggest others in the price range you think would fit the bill, i'd like to stay under $500. Oh, and whats that website w/ the great deals on GK gear???

Afterthought: just thought of 3 more heads not in this poll, sorry
    Ampeg B2RE
    Fender 400 Pro HD
    Peavey Tour 700

2. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    To drive both those cabs and stay under $500 might be a challenge, unless you come across a good deal on some used stuff...

3. I voted for the Ashdown (I have the 300H, a smaller version of the one you are considering) but in all honesty, I think you will be happy with any of those choices; they are all quality heads.

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Gear005.jpg

Great head for some great cabs.

5. nice rig jazzin! if i go for the more expensive on the list it will most likely be used. oh and for future readers if it helps i play alot of rock/funk w/ an emphasis in the funk

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Same here, but jazz too.

7. If you are talkin the $500 range, you can pick up a used Carvin B1500

In my opinion, that beats all the other choices hands down

8. That's what I would look for if I were the OP.

9. Used B1500's are fairly easy to find. That head is a monster.. Probably more headroom than you'll know what to do with. I also like that GK you mentioned too however.. but probably better to get that one used if you can find one (rather pricey new).

10. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
  11. thanks for the link, what if any would be reasons to not go after the Ashdown Mag 600H? it seems like it would fit the bill, is reasonable, and aesthetically pleasing

12. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I was looking at that Kustom, but it got sold before i could get back to it, now I'm looking at the Carvin BX600. The Kustom used is about $350-$400 I see you looking at the Ashdown 600 so if that is powerful nuff 4 u then look into the Carvin bx600 same price range, but it's new

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021