Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin vs Peavey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I have been searching for the right 5-6 string for quite some time now and have arrived at a decent conclusion. I currently own and love my Carvin LB70W, it really gets the job done, but I am looking to expand my rig with a 5 or 6 string fretless. Since money is somewhat of a limit (the highest would be about 2000 with a little tiny room to stretch) I have found myself looking at either another Carvin or a custom Peavey Cirrus.

Carvin I've had experience with and know that their products are quality, however they have limited pickup options and two Carvins might be somewhat limiting my GAS. The peavey has the great wood and style options and they have the active soapbars that I have wanted on a bass in my rig.

So, I would just greatly appreciate your guys help for reading all this and just guiding me any way. Any advice such as who has better quality, wait time, and most importantly fretless basses and tone. Anything is welcome -thanks

edit: I have also considered a five string Marcus Miller jazz because I LOVE those basses. also considered getting a four or five string marcus and de-fretting it but all the defretted basses i ever played lacked the feel and sound of a "true fretless" anyone else try this? or could you possibly order one liek this from the fender custom shop? id imagine the price would be insane but id like to know just out of curiosity

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    for me is a tie fight,both basses are excelent

3. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    If you can afford it i definately say go with the custom cirrus. It'll help the GAS and be very unique. I was on a similar search very recently and came across a couple luthiers that could custom build one in your price range as well:

Nino Valenti
    Bud Lecompte
    Brubaker Guitars (so brad johnson tells me, i didn't see it on thier site)
    Tim Barber (a VERY long wait though)

You might also want to talk to Jay (JPJ here on TB) at Blueberryhillbass.com and talk to him. He might have something special for ya. Check with Accessbass.com too, AG doesn't answer my e-mails anymore :( but maybe it's just me lol :p

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I have owned a Carvin LB75 and I currently own a Cirrus 6, and I vastly prefer the Cirrus. It was the reason I sold the Carvin. I prefer the tone and the playability of the Peavey, but YMMV.

5. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    I say Cirrus...

Carvins are nice, but the Cirrus has better pickups, electronics, the workmanship is awesome, and the neck plays as well as anything. and 35" scale.

6. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    A cirrus will be my next bass. So I'm going to urge you to go for the Cirrus. I played one in the local shop and fell in love. Not that expensive either, compared to similar basses of that quality. I'd still need to save for a bit, though.

Don't count Peavey out! They're making some quality products these days.

7. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Having owned both, I can tell you from my experience that I found the Cirrus to be a far, far better instrument. In that price range, I don't the the Cirrus can be beat. Fantastic features, tone, feel and fantastic customer support too.
    Go for the Cirrus!

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Peavey Cirrus is superior to anything that Carvin builds, IMO, in every way.

9. Im going to buy a used fretlless six bass soon too. Its gonna be Carvin or the Peavey Cirrus. But now i read this thread i think the Peavey Cirrus would be a better option. But meanwhile i read another thread "Next step up from a Cirrus?"..

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm going to chime in with the same response. I have been playing a Cirrus exclusively for a while and I cannot see myself playing another bass. If I ever get another bass it will be ANOTHER Cirrus! The price is great, the tone is great, and the feel is great. What else could you want?

Oh, I have a Carvin, but I don't play it anymore.

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    OK, somebody's gotta be the counterweight, so I will. I don't own either bass right now, so this is from memory. I had Carvins for years. I extensively test drove the Cirrus, and for me it wasn't all that. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good bass, but side by side with my Carvins, it certainly didn't jump out as better, *for my tastes*. Not in sound, design, looks, workmanship, or ease of playing. This is in no way to knock the Cirrus, just to say that to me the two basses are about on the same level. I could certainly see individuals preferring one or the other, but I didn't and still don't see a strong quality difference between the two (and I looked). Either one is a good value for what they cost new IMO (assuming you don't tart the Carvin up with too many expensive cosmetic options), and either can be an even better value used.

Obviously, I didn't buy the Cirrus.

For $2000 I say you can do better than either Carvin or Cirrus. There are custom builders you can get next to for that money (and I don't mean Wish!!). That's the path I'd recommend over either of your expressed choices.

12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

13. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I would like to try a Carvin based on the reviews I have seen on this site, but I must say I am very satisfied with my Cirrus. I give Peavey a big thumbs up for quality.

Dan

14. Busk

Busk

Jan 31, 2002
    I own a Peavey TL-Six that I got used for $750 and it is awesome even though it is a few years old (1991). I can't believe how cheap you can get these for these days: probably $600. I also own a couple Carvin regular guitars which I prefer to any Peaveys I've played. Never played a Carvin bass, but Peavey's US-built stuff is beyond reproach.

15. Custom shop Cirrus, hands down. A no-contest in my book. They have a HUGE variety of tone, and are one of the most beautiful things to look at in my opinion.

~Ryan

16. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I had to make a similar decision 2 years ago. I was trying to decide between a Carvin LB70 and a Cirrus 4. I had to buy without ever playing them, so I read hundreds of comments / reviews and asked for advice of many Carvin / Cirrus owners.
    I finally bought the Cirrus, and believe me that I still think I made the right move. I couldn`t be happier.

17. I really would like a Peavey Cirrus Fretless 6. Are the come around on Ebay often? Which price mostly? And is there a possibily to buy them new?

18. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    They come up from time to time. I`d strongly suggest you to look for a used one. (a Fretless 6 goes for $1000 aprox.).
    Keep in mind that they have a low resale value, so if you buy a new one, you`ll probably loose money if someday you decide to sell it.

19. Ok thanks. So i will just look at Ebay from time to time.
    Or is there any other place for second hand basses? (I live in Europe..)