Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kelvinf, Nov 3, 2001.

1. kelvinf

Oct 2, 2001

I`m at a dillema, i own a peavey combo 115 with a210 ext. cab. Even though i have a sansamp bass driver through the power amp in jack,(it does make it sound better), the sound is missing something. It sounds kinda flat and dull. My question is would a carvin combo sound better than my peavey? I know that this a question of personal taste, but i`ve never heard carvin amps before and thought that maybe those of you that have heard both brands might enlighten me. Any input is greatly appreciated,THANKS.
  2. With the setup that you have, you might as well get a half stack or something, that would let you have more flexibility. That combo is big and heavy, I should know, as I have one. Newer Peavey stuff is deffinatley better than it used to be, and in my opinion is pretty much a toss up between the two brands. Carvin heads would probably be more versatile, since they have a tube in them, as well as a solikd state preamp. Your choice though.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Depends on which Carvins you're talking about. There's their combos with the R heads and then there's their PB combos.

If you're talking about those with the R heads, the Carvin R heads would your eat Peavey for breakfast, IMO.

Nothing against Peavey in particular. Just that the Carvin R heads are that good.
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Peavey cabs. all the way. those thing will last forever,are great for the price and did i mention they will last forever? There heads are ok. i would get something else. but if your cash is a little low, they are also good for the price.
  5. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    well, the peavey combos do sound a bit dull, but ime the carvin stacks sound that way to 0(never heard a combo but i assume itd be the same), but with a wussier bottom end in exchange for a clearer top

my suggestion would be that if you wanna stick with reasonably priced stuff get a peavey tvx 4x10 (a surprisingly good cab....blows the carvin to smithereens if you ask me) and a carvin or peavey power amp, using the bass driver as the preamp. That would be quite a rockin rig come to think of it.
  6. DuckBass

Sep 15, 2001
    I just purchased the Carvin RC210 about 1 month ago and have played it on several gigs. It's got great tone and is extremely versatile. The tilt back 2x10 cabinet design was very handy for on-stage monitoring. The combo is somewhat heavy at ~80lbs. To lighten the load, I pulled out the r600 head and mounted it in a small rack. That config resulted in 2 easy trips to the car (head/rack at 35lbs and 2x10 cab at 50lbs) vs 1 back-aching trip.

I've never played through Peavey cabs so I can't provide an honest comparison. But for the price ($799), quality, outstanding tone and versatility you can't go wrong with the Carvin.

Good luck with the decision.
  7. kelvinf

Oct 2, 2001
    Thanks guys for the input. Money is a real issue since my wife is giving me "The Look". I never thought of using the bass driver with a power amp. This might be something to look into. Where`s a good place to get a tube power amp anyway?
  8. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    dont really know of any affordable tube power amps...i dont think its gonna be cheap. since price is an issue i HIGHLY recommend you go solid state on the poweramp. alot of people like the carvn power amps...i havent personally heard a stand alone one, but it should be above average considering how well recieved their heads are (my beef is with thier cabs...the heads are quite nice)

edit: fixed some astoundingly bad grammar
  9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I perfer my Peavey rig over everything I've played.
    This may come as a shock to all of you who have catagories for equipment like "cheap amps," "mediocre amps," "high end amps."

However, SWR seems too hollow to me,
    Eden's too warm, Ampeg's too warm, and a bit too drivey.
    Hartke sounds kind of toyish to me (which wouldn't work for anything I'd use it for)
    G-K 800RB's are too warm (they might as well have a tube in it)
    and the rest of the G-K's sound bright and woody.

Needless to say, out of everything I've played, I haven't found anything that can match or beat my Peavey rig.

Try EQing your Peavey Combo 115 differently.
    I used to have a Peavey 210TX which has the Combo 115 preamp and power amp, just with a 2x10 speaker configuration.

It used to sound like an SWR bass 350 with an SWR 2x10.

I'm not too fond of the SWR sound though, so I bought my Peavey 410TXF, Peavey 115BXBW, and Peavey Firebass.

Of course, the amp thing's purely subjective, that's just my $.02
  10. kelvinf

Oct 2, 2001
    Hello again, since i have my bass driver hooked to the power amp in jack i can`t use the eq on the amp. If i put the bass driver in the effects loop would i get a different sound and still use the amps eq also? Will this damage my amp?
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Try putting your Bass Driver between the bass and the input jack. It won't damage anything and it might just be what you want.
  12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey, Kelvin. I see you're in Meridian, MS, where the Peavey factory is located. Is there a factory tour or something?
  13. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    you can't go wrong either way, both good quality amps. At least try one of the new Peavey amps if you can. I played through one in a store about three weeks ago and was quite impressed. Big improvement over the last peavey I had played through back in the 80's. I played through one called Nitrobass (300 watts) it sounded great and only had a $400 price tag. For most of us the only way to try Carvin is to order it and use it for the 10 day trial period. If you don't mond the shipping costs and the UPS hassles they are definatley worth a listen.