Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin vs. SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleabass89, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Well, my mind was about made about getting the Carvin RL410T speaker cabinet, when i found out i could get an SWR Workingman's 115 speaker cab for $369. Now, the question is... which one is a better cab? Which tone do you prefer? I'm just looking for lots and lots of opinions. I know, i should use my ears:rolleyes: but I can't, because I have very limited access to bass gear. a 410 has more punch and highs, but the SWR has the lows, and a tweeter.

Thanks everyone:)

2. i think the main issue here is ohmage. the 115 is 8, the 410 is 4 i believe. you'll get maximum use from the 410.

3. nope, the 410 is 8 also. I would eventually get another cab anyways. the other question i have is, the head i am getting, hartke 3500, runs 240 W at 8 ohms, and the SWR is 200 W RMS...would anything go wrong here?? Thanks, i have to go because my mom is yelling at me!:D

4. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    I vote for the SWR. I've got one and the tone is superb. It weighs a ton though -- something to consider.

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I don't know what you consider heavy but the WM-15T is spec'ed at 45 lbs (pretty light for a 1x15 - check out what the Ampegs weigh in at) and that's about what it feels like. I can carry it with one hand - it's lighter than my 1x12 combo and a whole lot lighter than any 4x10 I've seen info on. It's probably lighter than most 2x10s as the SWR WM 2x10 runs about 60 lbs and the Goliath III jr runs about 55lbs (if I'm remembering the numbers right).

I run mine with a Hartke 4000 head without any problems but haven't had to turn it up much at all yet. I definitely prefer its sound to my 1x12 (Genz Benz) combo - much better lows. I personally didn't want anything as big as a 4x10. I may add a 2x10 to the stack later on if I ever need it (haven't so far but our problem is usually getting quiet enough for the places we've played - not getting louder).

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Between those two? The Carvin in a heartbeat IMO. I think you'll actually get bigger and better lows as well as more volume. Now if you were comparing the Carvin to an SWR Goliath or Triad, things might or might not be different. But a Workingman 1-15? Admittedly, I don't own either, but I've played both, and I think for your budget and given those two choices, the Carvin will do you better.

7. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    While I can't recommend the Carvin, I can say that I am none too impressed with the Wm15.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ive played through both cabs, they are both 8 ohm cabs. The Carvin can handle more power it's 600 watts, I think the swr working man is 400 watts. (could be wrong about that)

I played through the SWR and own a Carvin RL 4x10 and a V 4x10. IMO the Carvin sounds just as good if not better than the SWR working man's do.

4x10's are more versatile than a single 15" imo, you get a more defined tone out of them than you would a 15"

the rl4x10 is only 70lbs, so its not all that heavy either.

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I have to agree that the SWR WM's are nothing to write home about, I didn't like the sound at all.

10. Is it just me or are swrs 2x as expensive?

11. Correct you are, my friend.

OK, the Carvin it is. 410 would probably better suit my style

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    you wont regret it.

13. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..........