Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin vs. SWR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flatwound, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, this is kind of a weird question. From Carvin, I can get a 100 watt combo with a 10" speaker for $279 or with a 15 for $299, from SWR I can get a Workingman's 10 for about a hundred bucks more. I'm tired of carrying my 115-BW cabinet around. I'm just using my amp for a stage monitor anyway.

So, anyway, either amp would probably work, but I wonder if any of you have experience with either or both. The SWR is cute as heck, and I have another 15" cab I could use with it if I need more bottom and the extra 20 watts.

Please advise :confused: .

2. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I've wondered about the Carvin PB10 and PB15 too because they are a lot cheaper than the SWRs. I'm tired of lugging my Peavy around.

3. noweapon

noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    I have a Workingman's 10" as a practice amp/combo and a Carvin "Cyclops" as may main combo rig for gigs. Now I know the Cyclops has way more power and bigger speakers....But the SWR has far and away better tone....Just from one 10"!!!!! I have to really tweak the Carvin to get a good loud tone. The Carvin is super loud...cuts right through the mix..and I have got nothing but good comments about it after shows....But I'm a tone freak so I'm gonna take the plunge into the SWR megoliath (8x10) and some wicked head.

Carvin vs SWR.....I think SWR wins every time. Carvin is good bang for your buck.

4. Flea24

Flea24

Apr 7, 2000
    I used to have a Carvin 100 with a 15 in. speaker It was a great amp. It had enough power i just wanted a bigger amp i moved to a harke 7000 with a swr 4x10 cab. but the carvin had great sound quality so i recomend the carvin to you

5. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Id go with the SWR over the other.Great tone and ultra portable.If you dont mind a bit more weight(about 65lbs)check out Ampegs BA-115.Ive got one and its real nice.Paid 350+tax brandie new at local dealer.Tag price was a bit more but you can negotiate it down.Its a good bit louder than the WM10 with more bottom and alot more tonal flexability from the style switch.Good luck!

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you get a Megoliath, you'll be tearing down after your second gig with it, thinking to yourself, "What in the HELL was I thinking?" You know, it weighs over 200 pounds, and you need a bobtail flatbed to haul it.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I cant really make an honest opinion about the Carvin combo's, but I do own the RLT 4x10 and 1x15 speaker cabs by them and they sound every bit as good as SWR cabs in my opinion. And are alot less expensive. Ive played around with several SWR heads and found that I dont like them all that much. But thats all a matter of personal tastes..Carvin will treat you right, they have a 10 day no questions asked return policy, only problem is if you dont like it you have to pay all shipping costs.