1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin w/ MM Humbuckers vs. Stingray HH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So i've been debating on whether to get a Carvin I designed (Mahogany, greenburst) or to get one of those new Musicman SR HH's. I was thinking, if the Carvin has 2 Musicman Style Humbuckers, shouldn't it still sound pretty similar to a SR HH?

Discuss.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No, not really. Different pickups, different electronics. Just because they are shaped the same does not mean it will sound the same. Plus the mahogany will not sound like an ash Stingray.

3. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    I've never played a Carvin, but I've found that other basses with Humbuckers still don't have the same sound as a Stingray. I'm sure the Carvin will sound great too, It just might be a different sound.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you want a Stingray, get a Stingray. The only other bass that ever really got the Stingray sound other than a Stingray to my ears, is the Ibanez ATK. Carvins sound nothing like Stingrays.

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's it!!!!! How do you think that sound will differ on a mahogany body?

I may just have to go Alder...

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    From what I've read, it may have a bit darker sound, but it souldn't make a huge difference.

8. from what I've read, the carvin MM pickup is quite a good sounding MM pickup and you can definitely get a Carvin with an Ash body. You can even get a carvin with a bolt-on neck (another huge factor in sounding like a 'ray).

However, you cannot duplicate the MM electronics (you'll get close, but it won't sound quite like a 'ray)...nothing does...

with that said...both basses are different and depending upon what is desired, either one could conceivably be preferred.

I like 'rays...but I find them a bit mono-dimensional for my tastes...but then, I a budget bassist at the moment and my latest aquisition (and main bass, at the moment) is a modded $150 Yamaha RBX-170...:D

9. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    My Carvin lb70p has just the HB2 in the bridge position. I use it in HB (humbucker) mode when wanting a little more grind in my tone. I don't know about the 2 HB models but the MM basses I've tried with 2 humbuckers left little room for plucking as there's not much room between the neck pup and the neck.

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That could definitely be a problem. I'm gonna have to call Carvin before I order it.

11. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    ^ I agree, That's what I don't like about HH Bongos or Stingrays,

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ohhh... I thought you meant Carvin's were hard to slap. I was able to slap the MM HH I tried, but it was a bit difficult.

I'm still gonna call Carvin to see how far the neck is from the neck pickup.

13. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
  14. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    Besides the different electronics and pickups, the placement of the Carvin bridge pickup is closer to the bridge than the Musicman pickup. (30 1/2" and 31 1/2" from the inside edge of the nut to the center of the pole pieces.) The Sterling's pole pieces are 30 and 31 inches from the inside edge of the nut as is the 5 string Stingray.The Carvin doesn't sound like a Stingray or a Sterling. It has its own unique sound. Without using any preamp boost,(flat) the Carvin and Sterling sound more alike than when using the bass, treble and mid boosts. The MM instruments sound, to my ear, is quite different then the Carvin's. I like both my Sterling and my Carvin but they definitely aren't the same, as much as I tried to match them. Also, the HH Musicman Bongo doesnt sound like a HH MM Stingray, the electronics being different, as well as bodywood. Like it's been said before, a Stingray sounds like a Stingray. I personally prefer the HH Bongo over the HH Stingray, and the Sterling and Carvin over the Stingray tone with just one pickup.