Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin, what's Carvin like? Warm, sharp tone? ect.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chap, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    I found a killer deal from Carvin on their website. A 1000 watt head, 4X10's, and a 15" or 18" speaker. All for $1300.00. I was thinking of buying that over the Ampeg that I wanted. Carvin owners, what do you guys think of it? Is it worth it. I've never heard Carivin bass amplifiers before. What are they like? I've only heard/used Carvin PA. Thanks. Chap

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    carvin's power is said to be inflated and their cabinets have absolutely no lowend. their basses are pretty decent though. i have never run into a carvin cabinet that i really cared for. my advice is look elsewhere...

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i can't see handling all that gear and not being able to handle an E string let alone a B string. even the huge dual fifteen subs that they have don't go down too low. i think the lowest i saw anything go down to was maybe 40hz or so. pretty bad for a subs if you ask me!

4. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Come on guys, I know you guys have something to say about Carvin, good/ bad? I need info. Thanks. Chap

5. I have a better plan for your $1300

Sansamp RBI....$299
    QSC RMX 1450...$399
    Genz Benz 4 space rack....$76

That's under $1300 for a 1400 watt rig that will bury the Carvin.

6. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Is the your rig? See what I don't wanna do is have to pay a bunch of shipping for one unit, then buy form another company and pay shipping for that. Know what I mean? That would be a nice rig though... Chap

7. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Mudbass- But what about the Carvin, what do you think of it?

8. I've used Carvin's 1x15, 2x10, 4x10, 15" 2-way PA cabs and their 15" floor monitors pretty extensively. My opinion about Carvin cabs are that they're well built, well priced and sound just terrible.

Carvin amps? They're...serviceable. I've heard complaints about carvin heads (particularly the 1000) and poweramps going into thermal shutdown when pushed hard. Not a great deal of complaints mind you, but enough to be concerned. The two features of Carvin heads I dislike the most are the built-in crossover and the compressor. The crossover only goes down to 200hz, which I think is a dreadful mistake on their part and the compressor is the worst I've ever tried.

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    this is mainly what you will probably get out this..

speaker cabinets, decently built, sound is not good

heads, decently built, sound decent

same with the basses
    body and neck are usually pretty good, but the electronics suck

Now I have a Carvin power amp that I use to power my Ampeg bxt cab and I have yet to have any problems with it..

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My take is a little different. This is all IMO and IME, of course.

Heads, very good. I would take them over anything I've tried at their price point.

Basses, very good if you like the ergonomics. The electronics, at least the current ones, do not suck. You may or may not like them. I rather like them. They are not the ultimate, but they do not suck. I play 6, and I haven't found a 6 I like nearly as well as my Carvins at their price point. Or slightly above for that matter.

Bass cabs, not all that good compared to the other stuff. I haven't played any that I would want to buy. I don't consider them bad, mind you, and I actually think the RC210 is a very good little combo if you don't need a ton of low B (or don't use a low B). I don't care for the Cyclops combo, though. Generally, though, I don't think the cabs are as good as the other stuff.

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The bass cabs use Eminence Beta speakers, not very good for that application, IMO. Most speaker manufacturers use variations of the Delta and Kappa line of speakers for bass cabs.

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Every Carvin amp i've played sounds terrible for the price.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Richard Lindsey and I are pretty much in agreement on their amps, (I own the RL1018 and the Cyclops) -

Heads - Damn hard to beat (note: mine are the Series II R heads before they went with tube emulation). High quality, super tone versatility, and compare with much more expensive heads. MIne have more miles than I can count, riding in the back of Ryder rental trucks, and have never given me a problem.
    My only real disses are the crossover range and the fact that the Noise Gate is useless (unless you like your volume cutting in and out).

Cabs - Okay but you can do a lot better for about the same money. Construction-wise, they're Grade A.
    But soundwise - nope. Can't handle a B string at high volume. Lower notes on an E at high volume strain them. The horns/tweeters are pretty harsh-sounding.

If I had to do it all over again for the same money, I stay with my R heads but I would have bought Genz-Benz cabs (I haven't tried Avatars, yet).

14. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Alright guys. Thanks for the comments on the Carvin. It doesn't sound too well for the music that I'll be playing (Metal, hardcore) Maybe I should look elsewhere. At the moment, I'm playing through a 1X15 300 watt Fender combo amp which is doing pretty damn well competeing with 2 guitar cabs, drums, and a 2X15 PA. I need to get a new rig. But for Metal & Hardcore music what do you guys recommend for me? Thanks. Chap.

15. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    SWR/Ampeg
    With the right amp, You can a killer rock tone out of one of their 2x10s (I Have a 87' goliath jr. :D )
    but for garunteed rock tone, you can't go wrong with ampeg.

16. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Yeah SWR is definatly a good choice. But I know that SWR has the sharp, clean tone to it. Can you get the warm tone that Ampeg has out of the SWR? I like the warm tone. Do many hardrockers use SWR? I was considering the Ampeg, but on here I see many threads having to do with problems with Ampeg. Thanks. Chap

17. Chap,
    I have a Carvin R600 series II head with the 12ax7 tube in it. I "had" the Carvin 410 cab and played with a friends Carvin 1x15 cab, biamped or bridged I got nothing but farts from the cab when I played my 5 string, and when I played my 4 I still had to keep the gain and volume down low enough not to blow the cabs. As far as inflated power advertising I dunno, doesn't seem to have as much presence or ummph as some 350 watt heads I have played, I sold the 410 and bought an Avatar 410, I am so far happy with the 410 but I believe it would sounbd better with a different head, my problem with the head is that there is too many damn knobs to fiddle with and I never feel like I have a decent tone, maybe someone else knows the secret to this head but I'm am sure that I don't!
    I would go with Mudbass's recommendation, with the preamp and power amp setup if you don't like the tone, get a new preamp instead of being stuck with a head that someone else may not want, and believe this, your not going to be able to sell that Carvin head for as much as your going to pay for it. But definately bypass the Carvin cabs and buy Avatar, your gonna save more money and sound ten times better even is you buy the Carvin head.

18. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    cabs, i would suggest ampeg, eden, or hartke, though hartke may be a bit on the clean side for that type of music. they still work well though, i used a hartke 2.5XL for that type of music for awhile.
    i would suggest a pre/poweramp setup, try looking into an ampeg SVP-PRO, and something like QSC for the power.