Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin with Barts?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by David Harrell, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Anyone switched out their stock carvin pups and pre for a set of bart pops and pre? My carvin's tone just doesn't cut it, and I've got to do something. I would love to get a nice, middy growl out of my bridge pup but it ain't gonna happen with the stock pups.

Anybody got any suggestions? I've searched here, but couldn't find any posters that were specifically looking for the "growl".....

2. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I think that would be a great idea.

I love the way Carvins look and feel but I just can't get over how painfully bright they sound. IMO you almost have to have flatwounds on them to get a resonable tone out of them (I have a Carvin fretless with flatwounds that sounds awesome). When I tried them in the store I kept thinking "Man these would sound great with Bart Pups in them or flats on them." but I couldn't see spending $900 on a bass and then another couple hundred on new pickups and at the time I didn't want to have to put flats on a fretted bass to get the type of sound I wanted.

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Which Carvin model pickups do you have in your bass currently?

I had put Bartolini 69J pickups in my LB76, and I got plenty of low-mid growl out of the bridge pickup. However, they had replaced the Carvin H50N J-style stacked humbuckers that came stock on a Carvin of that vintage (a '94 model), and by all accounts the H50N's have a mellower tone than the currently-stock J99 pickups. In fact, after doing a little recording with both sets of pups and listening back, I couldn't really tell a difference between them. Soloed, the H50N's were perhaps just a hair brighter, but in the mix that difference was negligible.

4. Mine was built in 94, so I'm sure it has the older models whichever that may be.

Mine has pretty much zero growl at this point. I run through a GK 800RB into a peavey 4x10, and I have run it through other amps, mainly a fender "combo" (though I have no idea what model...) and while I get a bright, clean sound from them I just don't hear much character in them.

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    David,

I went through the same thing with my Carvin fretless 6. I loved the playability, look and feel. The tone didn't really do it for me. I put in Bartolini pups and preamp and now it sounds how I want, plays like a dream and looks great. You can check it out at my website.

Do it. You won't regret it.

Steve

6. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    You might want to do a search. Chucko on these boards has had great results replacing his Carvin pups with Bill Lawrence J 45 L's. I personally like the sound of my J 99's in my LB75. I'm running the bass through a GK 1001RB 2 10 combo.

7. Thanks for the input guys.....

I just restrung it eadgc and I'm having a blast with it. The brightness really helps with chords, so I may leave it be for a little while. I've also been wanting to get another fretless, and I may go with a warmoth gecko on that build. If I do I'll definetly be going with barts on it.

Thanks again!

8. Now to hijack this thread, is the Carvin preamp any good? Has anyone experimented with changing out just the preamp and not the p'ups? I'm looking at a Carvin with stock electronics and will probably change everything out, but if I could do one and not the other which way would you go?

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i swapped out only the PUs in my koa LB76. massive change in sound. my only real pet peeve of the carvins was the weak B string. the barts add a lot of clarity to the sound which was just a bonus on top of getting a strong B note.

10. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Which Barts have you used? The Barts I have heard haveall been very dark sounding, but I undrstand that htere are other Bart options that fit the Carvins without any further routing that aren't as dark.

11. What amount of growl do you get from them? And did you keep the carvin pre, or swap it out too?

I'll have to admit, the B on mine was sloppy as well. One reason I've switched to EADGC, though I'll have to try out a B on there once I make the pup change.

12. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Let me just doublecheck here so I'm not confused :) So you'd say the tone is pretty much ok with flats on a fretless(I'd want flatwound on that anyway). So then it isn't really as significant a difference on a fretless with flats as a fretted? If that makes any sense...

Thanks