Carvin XB basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soulgroovn, Oct 25, 2002.

1. soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT

I just ordered a carvin XB75P with all of the fixn's. I plan on using it to backup my Q5 but has anyone ever ever played these? If so can you give me some feedback? I'm hoping to be pleasently surprised with the bass and if not, I have 10 days to return it.
  2. Well, what options did you get?

I've never played an XB, and I don't understand why they added the extra 1/4" to the scale. I think 35" would have been sufficient.

I have an LB75 with the wider asymmetrical neck and Koa body, and I like it. It's an older model with 2-band EQ and the H50 pickups, but it has a smooth sound. Nothing too fancy, but it does it's job.:)
  3. soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    I agree with the extra 1/4 of an inch and I'll let you know what it's like when I receive the bass. I ordered it with the quilt top and headstock, 5 piece tung oil neck, and the P series upgrade.
  4. So you got a clear finish then? Did you get Alder underneath the Quilt top?
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just a comment - I don't know how much different they are from the LB's.

If you notice in the pictures, all they did was drop the bridge back towards the butt to make it a 35" scale. They're LB's with the bridge set back an inch...same neck/fretboard.

NOTE: I think the "10 days" clause is just to protect them from jerks who change their minds, or didn't do all of their homework, or don't know how to handle their credit cards well.

If something serious, beyond your control develops after 10 days, they may still build you a new one at the very least if you are persistent as I was .
    My LB75 had a G string that got became more "raspy" as the months went on. After a couple of trips to their repair shop - PAID by Carvin - they attributed it to an unseen flaw in the wood. IMO, the woods they use are primo, so I'm doubtful that was the real cause. I think they just wanted a swift, convenient, resolution to get me off their backs. But they were always very nice about it.

After writing a letter to their Board of Directors, they refunded my full payment. To me, that's honorable.
  6. soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    I think I read about your experience on harmony central.

As far as the neck goes, I think it may be slightly different than the regular LB model. The reason I say this is because I had originally asked for the alabone block inlays but they couldn't do it because they said didn't have the correct template to cut the blocks in the neck. I'm assuming that they have a template that will do the entire fretboard on one pass and that this was the problem. And wouldn't moving the bridge back 1 1/4" present major intonation issues on a 34" neck? Just for the record, I'm not trying to start something here. :) Just trying to discuss the in's and out's of bass design.....
  7. soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    Bassplayer7770 - I ordered blueburst over maple with chrome hardware. Should be a real looker.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Nope - I don't go near there...too much "whatever I own is so great!" banter.

Odd - When they offered me a replacement, I told the order taker I wanted an XB with the abalone blocks like my LB had. He didn't mention any problem and even went so far as to give an estimated build time.

I don't see why. That's what intonation screws are for. For instance, when you order a bridge from someplace like, they don't offer different bridges for different scale lengths. I have a 35" scale bass being made withan ABM bridge they sell. Their catalog didn't say anything about 34" vs 35" scale. Scale length was never an issue.

Not at all. I think you're right on target!
  9. That's why there are fewer frets on the fingerboard (to adjust to the 35.25" scale).
  10. It should look sweet! Somebody on the Carvin board bought an LB70 with a Walnut back and Quilted Maple top (with a Clear finish), and it looked amazing!!!:eek: :cool:
  11. Here's a top view of the bass I mentioned (it's actually a BB70P):

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, it's really just the same neck. The reason moving the bridge doesn't cause intonation problems is that *they moved all the frets (or in the case of a lined fretless, the lines) as well*. That's why the XBs have only 22 frets. A longer scale length means that the frets have to be farther apart, and given an unchanged amount of fingerboard real estate, that has to mean that you fit fewer frets on.

This may also be why they weren't going to let you have the block inlays. They'd have to fall at slightly different intervals on the FB for a longer-scale bass, and their gear would have to be reprogrammed; maybe they just haven't done that yet, or don't want to.
  13. soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    Thanks for the explaination. Very informative.
  14. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    might look something like this + some nice quilt -one string
  15. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    For a fretless bass, this would appear to require long fingers and dead aim to have good intonation. Better to get the 34" for fretless.