1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Carvin XB75

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Keeshman556, Nov 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Keeshman556

Keeshman556

Aug 16, 2016
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    35” scale 5 string

flamed maple top
    Active/passive switch with 18v preamp
    Pickup blend with cool tap for bridge pickup
    Blend between magnetic and piezo pickups.

neck is five piece walnut/maple with Birdseye maple fretboard.

frets could use some polishing, but otherwise in great shape and plays fast. Looking to sell to fund other purchases.

I have original hard shell case and I purchased a black truss rod cover. Shipping to conus only included.

Attached Files:

2. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    Nice bass. Weight please? (somebody is going to ask......) Body wood?

Thanks in advance

3. Keeshman556

Keeshman556

Aug 16, 2016
    I don’t have a scale so I can’t provide a number. I’m also not the original owner so I don’t have the build sheet. I would assume the body is alder or mahogany.

4. Ohabanero

Ohabanero

May 17, 2019
    Are you sure about the walnut maple ? Looks like mahogany maple. My guess is mahogany body also . Could you add a good clear close up picture of the bottom end grain from strap button to output jack? That would help determine . The neck grain definitely looks mahogany at the back of headstock picture.

31HZ likes this.
  5. Keeshman556

Keeshman556

Aug 16, 2016
    yes I am pretty sure about the neck. I’ve never seen Carvin offer a 5 pc mahogany maple neck

6. Sexy

7. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    PMing about location ...

8. this bass is actually a 35.25" scale. i played a 6 string version of this bass for many years.... absolutely wonderful instrument.

I agree the neck looks like mahogany, but carvin did a lot of walnut so i don't blame such an assumption.. and wood-experts have a final say? we all know carivn does not keep/did not keep records.

31HZ likes this.
  9. doesn't mean they diddnt do it, depending on when you ask, how you ask, who you ask, they did a lot of "option 50" stuff. not that it matters, whatever the neck wood is, thats a fine instrument.

10. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    The body wood looks like mahogany. It’s not alder

11. Ohabanero

Ohabanero

May 17, 2019
    IMG_20201127_200902.jpg IMG_20201127_200345.jpg Well I looked at this headstock pic and the back of body pic again on my pc and I'd have to say the seller is probably right on on the maple walnut. The neck wood grain is so plain on the back of headstock (like a lot of mahogany I've looked at) and I was first looking at it on my phone (where it seemed a little more red) but on my PC it definitely looks brown like a very tight and clear walnut. If you look at the neck where it's finished through the body I'd say the grain there is more common to walnut especially the lower neck with the couple of stripes midway and the growth ring on the heel where it transfers to oil. Also the body took the stain a little darker than the neck which would probably be the way mahogany would behave next to a tight dense walnut. Both of these wood species have similar characteristics depending on the given board you're looking at. I'd still love to see a close up of the bottom end of the bass but the seller has enough photos to show this is a nice piece already. On your picture I circled the areas that lead to walnut and arrowed the most mahogany looking evidence. Most of all on the neck though the thin center stripe between the maples on the body back screams walnut the way the grain is behaving with the finish on it. The sellers hand contrast says walnut also.

31HZ and Keeshman556 like this.
  12. Ohabanero

Ohabanero

May 17, 2019
    And despite all that bullcrap it don't matter because this thing is a beast. I own 5 carvin neck throughs with piezo and they are all killer. Play and sound amazing. My 6 is an xb and has the nicest tone of all of them! These piezo era basses are the best of Carvins product in my opinion and easily compare to boutique stuff costing 2 or 3 times as much .

13. Ohabanero

Ohabanero

May 17, 2019
    I'm gonna boot this thread out of my watch list so I don't buy another bass! Lol
    good luck!

Reedt2000, 31HZ and jaysbass2002 like this.
  14. Ohabanero

Ohabanero

May 17, 2019
    Had to come back for another drool. Can't believe nobody has snagged this beauty yet!

RodRy and Reedt2000 like this.
  15. MrWarwick71

MrWarwick71 Supporting Member

May 1, 2017
    String spacing at the bridge?

16. Keeshman556

Keeshman556

Aug 16, 2016
    19mm

17. bassface73

bassface73

Mar 3, 2007
    Temecula, CA
    I am definitely interested, but I do need to get an estimate of the weight. I have back problems, so I'm assuming that the bass weighs a lot as mahogany is pretty heavy. Do you have a regular scale to estimate?

18. Keeshman556

Keeshman556

Aug 16, 2016
    I don’t but I have a friend that does so when I see him this week I will get a weight.

Subjectively I never noticed any thing with its weight. It was about the same as my fender 4’s but I’m pretty young and don’t have any issues. It’s definitely a lot lighter than a 70’s jazz I’ve played before

19. Keeshman556

Keeshman556

Aug 16, 2016
    8.5 lbs

RodRy and j.albert like this.
  20. PM sent

RodRy likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021