1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin XP1000L

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by tgriley62, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    If any one has one or has owned one I would like to get some feedback on it

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. John Hobson

John Hobson

Dec 13, 2016
    I own and have lots of experience with CARVIN PA1200. They look very, very similar from the manuals so I will comment on the PA1200 and you can take it for what it is:

CARVIN PA1200 OPERATING MANUAL Pdf Download.

Bottom line:
    It gets the job done, but it sounds better if you don't push it to its limits. At the higher volumes it's tricky to get a good mix. At the volume I needed for my band I preferred to pan one instrument to one amp and other instrument to another, otherwise the two instruments diminished each other (typically vocals were too bassy and bass wasn't bass enough). It can be very prone to feedback with phantom powered mics. For bass it would work well for a quieter band, but for a loud band pushed to it's limits the bass sounds "thin".

I have two Carvin 832 (15" with horn) mains. I've experimented with other speakers throughout the years. Blew a couple.

The main difference I see between this model and mine, is that my speaker inputs were doubled up, so each amp had two speaker inputs. Therefore you could put two mains on one amp for a 4 ohm load, or put them on different amps for 8 ohm load. Or technically you could drag around 6 speakers and have all 4 ohm loads but that's not how I did it.

At practice:
    One speaker got one amp. My bass was panned to one amp only, and vocals were panned to the other (separate EQs).
    In a three piece rock band with loud drummer and distorted guitar the bass was not very well heard, but it wasn't terrible either. I ultimately bought a Sansamp pedal to get a little more tone out of it and that was pretty good. Later on I just got a bass amp head and continued using the PA speaker and that was a lot better.

At shows with no PA:
    I brought this powered mixer and one speaker and played bass only. I was surprised how well it worked. Sometimes I would bring both speakers if the room was big enough to call for it.