Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin... Yay or Nay???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Feb 22, 2003.

1. I was wondering what eveyone's opinion/experience with this set up or similar setups are. Is Carvin the way to go? I generally play alternative/rock/punk and use anything from a smooth bottom end tone to a pick tone. I also play a 5 string, so would this handle the low B well? Last, would an 18" or a 15" cab be better underneath the 410? Carvin Rig

2. I can tell you this much, it takes longer than 30 minutes to learn how to get the R1000 head to make a decent sound. I know because I tried one out for that long in the Carvin showroom and couldn't get a decent sound out of it. At one point I had to call the Carvin guy over and ask him...what's making that awful noise? He said...oh, that would be the compressor. He reached over switched it off and it did sound quite a bit better.

I've used Carvin's 1x15, 2x10, 4x10, 15" floor monitors, their 15" 3-way PA cabs and didn't like any of them. Well, the 2x10 might make a decent top cab in a bi-amped rig, but I've yet to get any deep bass put of a Carvin cab. They're very well constructed, well priced, but they sound just awful.

I say keep shopping.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    There is way more than enough information available, just by doing a search. General rule seems to be... Heads = yay, Cabs = nay... My own experience bears this out. Yours may be different... For instance, I have never had a problem getting a good tone from my R600... Obviously, Mudbass had a different experience...

YMMV
    -robert

4. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    for cabs check out Avatar every thing I hear says WAY better than carvin for less money.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I was able to get a great tone from the Carvin R1000 right out of the box. I didn't buy it, got the ampeg instead but would recommend it to anyone. My Carvin 210 cab does what it's supposed to do and I've had no problems with it in 3 years so far. Of course it doesn't have the low end a rig with an 18 in it. I haven't heard the Avatar cabs but thev'e got a good reputation around here so you might want to check them out. I think they also have a 2 week trial period like Carvin. :bassist:

6. You must have spent the extra $100 and gotten the one that comes preset from the factory then. :D

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    No, but I do admit that I never used the onboard compressor because I was warned about it not being very good by talk bass members. That may have been the difference right there.:cool:

8. Carvin Bass Cabs - Nay
    Carvin Bass Heads - Yay/Nay
    Carvin Basses - Yay

If you go with the Carvin cabs, definately do the 18 with the 4x10.

Some brand of bass heads take a little more tweaking than others, but that what the manual, your ears and the good people of TB are for. I wouldn't worry too much about it... you can always send it back.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

9. avatar. hands down.

it couldnt be better for the price. avatar cabs are DEFINATELY the way to go......
    .................i doubt anybody would challenge this...

a carvin r600 with an avatar 410h or 210h and 115h is the ultimate "budget" rig.

10. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    If you decide on Carvin amps I would definatly give up the extra doe for the R1000. The R600 won't cut it in a loud band. It is not that much more cash and you get almost double the watts for the R1000.

11. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    AND ON SECOND THOUGHT You can save another $280 and get the Carvin DCM1000. You will have to buy a pre amp to shape your sound as the DCM is an amp only. Lot's of guys here at TB use the DCM amps. The pre amp on the R series amps don't get a great review anyway and have been the cause of frequent amp failures. (include me here) Many of the preamp features are not very good, so are a waste of money IMHO. (compresser, biamp,tube simulator, and noise gate) That's my story and I'm stick'n to it.;) Good Luck....
    Bizz

12. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Carvin R1000 good solid head.
    Never played a Carvin Cab...so ?
    Avatar--you can check the "search" and find mucho info on them...mostly positive. I like mine.

good luck!