Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleabass89, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Who here owns the R600? also, what can you say about their speaker cabinets? I can't try them out, as I am in pennsylvania. I need a solid, tight sound. I play rock, metal, punk, funk, etc.

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You can, no doubt, find people here who like Carvins, or at least say they do because they've bought 'em. I can only see one reason to ever buy a Carvin rig: you can't afford anything better. I've never heard one that came close to even a modest GK rig, let alone Ampeg, Eden, SWR, etc. Granted, I've never owned one so take what I say for face value. I've sure heard plenty and played through a few, however. Pretty generic sounding, IME.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hey man.. go to my thread on New RIG Ampeg Vs Carvin..
    There are some comments there from owners of the R600 and R1000

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I own an RC210... Lotta bang for the buck and a decent sounding cabinet. Can I afford something more expensive? Without a doubt. Would it be a better value? Not necessarily. I bought the Carvin because I happen to like the sound, (generic though it may be). I could have paid twice as much for a 'brand' 2X10 combo, but why?

-robert

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If you can't hear the diff., you certainly shouldn't.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have the RC210 which is the R600 in a 210 cab. I also have Carvin's 1x18 ext cab.

They work for me. I am into rock/punk maybe a bit of disco when I think no one's looking... I find it to be extremely versatile. Many on TB seem to agree. Do a search on Carvin, RC210 or Cyclops and you will get more info than you ever wanted. :D

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I guess that this can be taken a few different ways... I'll stay neutral and attempt to clarify. In my post, I never said that I couldn't hear the difference, however, in my opinion, the difference that I hear is certainly not worth the extra bucks, to me anyway. In your opinion, the only reason that someone would have for buying a Carvin amp would be because a better amp couldn't be afforded. In my case, experience, whatever, I differ. I can afford a better, (i.e. more expensive), amp, and after shopping around, settled on Carvin. Comparably, a G-K 1001RB/210 with 540W lists at $1280 in Musician's Friend. I'm sure that it sounds great, having played through a friend's 700RB head many times. I prefer my Carvin, he digs his G-K. Different strokes...

fleabass asks about the R600 in regards to rock, metal, funk and punk, and I'll reply that IME, my amp is certainly adequate for all of the above. I've gigged with it in all of the above genres, (except punk I guess), as well as blues, gospel, contemporary Christian and theater and the amp has performed admirably. Thumbs up in the 'bang for buck' category...

-robert

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I will take ya a step further...

Carvin isn't a "cheap" amp brand. I think if you look at their various products they give you a nice professional product.

I don't feel that I can one day "upgrade" my Carvin. It's up there with all the other professional gear and now it's all up to taste.

9. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I own the R600. I don't believe I would ever buy another carvin, especially the cab's. But then again I have nothing to compare it to, it is the only amp/cab(R600 cyclops) I have ever owned. I can't get the sound or volume I want out of it. Ask carvin owners how many have had to "ship it back for repair". And wait for weeks. Count me in. I think thier cabs sound weak and don't have any balls. Again my amp and cab experience is very very limited. So keep that in mind.

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Another possibility is that there may BE no difference in quality. Or that the difference favors the Carvin.

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Not IME. I've played GKs until they came out my ears. IMO my Carvin is a *far* better amp. I've also played Traces, SWRs, Edens, Ampegs, and about every non-booteek head there is. I would take the top-of-the-line Eden over my Carvin, and I'm sure there are a number of separate preamp-amp combinations that are significantly better too. But I've never played an Ampeg I'd take over my Carvin, and to my ears an SWR doesn't have anything I want that an Eden doesn't.

It isn't a matter of not hearing the differences either. I can hear them just fine, and so can many others. But not everyone places the same valuation on those differences that you might.

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I just shipped off my R600 to someone in WI. All and all I am glad to get rid of it. It was far too heavy and bulky of a rig for the performance that I got out of it. If you are looking for a ton of cheap power, I would recommend picking a DCM600 or DCM1000 and scoring a cheapo preamp until your can upgrade to a better one. I found that the power amp stages of Carvin are very usable. Plenty of clean, flat power. I just think the preamp is lifeless. IMHO.

As for the cabs, I think they perform pretty well. I played a RL410T and really enjoyed it. For the last year, I preamped with my Bass POD pro into the power amp of the R600 using the effects return and into the 410. I was very happy with that sound. It was just way more gear than I want to roadie.

I think Bizzaro's take on the cabs may come from his experience with the cyclops. I think in that case, there is too much amp for a combo. That cab simply isn't large enough to handle the speakers they crammed in it.

Carvin's component cabs are very usable.

Chas

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My take as an owner of their largest stack and their largest combo, (both the R series heads) - heads are good and reliable when used according to the manual......and I'm NOT adding the line "for the money. Their head tech is as up-to-date as anyone's. Speakers cabs - eh, okay. Using a better line of Eminence speakers would help, or at least if they would offer them as an option.

IMO, the best thing to do if the bank account allows, is to buy one of their R heads, stick a nice cab like an Eden under it and throw a Sansamp Bass Driver in the signal chain before the preamp. Now we're cookin'!

If the bank account doesn't allow, you can't do any better for a cab FOR the money......there, I said it this time. Construction is superb. They use thick birch plywood as do some other much more expensive brands, the grill will fend off thrown beer bottles, and the connections are solid.

In short, I think they put their best resources into their heads and the cabs get the leftovers.

14. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Hey, Rick! Fancy meeting you here! :) I agree. I bought the RC210-18 stack and have made two major upgrades to it since: (1) Added the R1000 head to give more power (those cabinets needed it in a loud band situation), and (2) bought an Eden 2x15 cabinet to handle the bottom instead of the Carvin 1x18. I have also had to replace one of the 10" drivers in the RC210 because the coil developed a rub (was probably giving it too much power with one side of the R1000, despite the power rating of the cab). Now I think I'm hearing the other one doing the same - even after EQing out the bottom frequencies. So I may be faced with a decision soon:
    _ (a) replace the 10" with another Carvin 10"
    _ (b) replace both 10" drivers with some higher quality ones (probably Eminence Delta)
    _ (c) just bite the bullet and buy an Eden 210T or 410T and consider selling the RC210. These Edens are really nice cabinets for upper bass and midrange, and they stack perfectly atop the Eden 215.

The latter idea, (c), isn't totally appealing, because I like the combo - it's very versatile, and the tilt-back is a nice feature. It's also nice having the R600 head in it as backup or supplemental power. But if I swing for another Eden, most of my Carvin stack will gather dust - so maybe I'd wind up selling it all (except the R1000, which is a great amp head). Time will tell.
    - Mike

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Let's all vote! Time for the democratic process to take over Mike's life. Don't worry, Mike... Our gov't knows what's best for you. ;) Since you are pushing more power than the 600w that those speakers are designed for in that RC210, I vote you to change the speakers with the high quality ones of your choice. :D

Now that I actually have a RC210, I don't think I would like to be without it either. It's a very cool combo. I think my wifey will be going deaf soon though since it is all still setup in my living room. I got the combo, then the Steiny one after the other... it must be my destiny... :p

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

fleabass - Not to be condescending, but I think what you can take from Mike's post is --- he's an electrical engineer by profession and the Carvin stuff is good enough to pass his ultra-critical criteria.

As you can see, he's not having a love affair with their cabs, (as I mentioned). Of course, power demon that he is, he kicked the snot out of his 2-10" by overjuicing it, but he went to Eden even before that happened.

MikeyD - Sounds like you might be looking into Bergantino country soon. Or better yet, Aguilar, now that Musicians Fiend carries their stuff.

17. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Hi, Rick. Thanks for the *WAY too kind* comment. I'm glad you're still around TB - you are really real! I just want to say that I don't think of myself as ultra-critical, but I appreciate the sentiment of your post. I'm not an "audiophile" nut who has to have gold connectors and 000-gauge wire to connect speakers. I like good sound, but I'm also keenly aware of the Law of Diminishing Returns. Once you asymptotically approach The Limit, you pay disproportionately more money to achieve ever-smaller improvements. This is true of almost anything you can imagine. I will not own a $5000 bass, even though I might think nothing of dropping that on a good tenor or bari sax. The difference is - the $5000 bass is premium, whereas the $5000 sax is just "good" (barely passable). My Fenders do just fine for me.
    "Musicians Fiend"???!!!! :D :D I love it!! You got a good laugh there, Rick!

Anyway, those are probably very nice cabs, but again - I'm sort of a frugal dude. I try to get acceptable performance and reliability for the fewest dollars. The Eden 215 was my solution to a difficult problem. I needed something that was loud enough with the amps I already have and would have good enough frequency response without being impossible to haul around. The other Eden 10"-loaded cabinets are a bit on the expensive side, so I've hesitated. They are very nice, though, and I may go for one sometime. The money isn't burning a hole in my pocket, though.
    - Mike