Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BornUnwanted, Dec 24, 2001.

1. i know there has been a lot of debates and stuff with carvin. iv'e acquired that their heads are good, but their cabs are worth staying away from. i'm thinking about getting the 8 x 10 speaker enclosure and Carvin 1000 watt RedLine head. i haven't seen much bad talk about their 8x10's.

would it be bad to get what i'm getting? what is everyone's overall thought about carvin?
    thanks

2. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i own the carvin r1000, a 4x10 and a 1x 15
    and i love it. great power, very flexible.
    of course it's no swr but it costs less than half
    of a comparable unit made by one of the big brands.
    if you buy that set up, i highly doubt you'll
    be dissapointed

3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    ive got an R600 and a carvin 210T cab. i do like them, though its not the most efficient cab on the planet. i would highly reccomend the head. the cab depends on a couple things. do you play a B string at all? if so you might not like the way the carvin 10's sound with a B string. also if you like a really bass heavy sound (ie boost the bass knob to 12) you might also want to consider a larger speaker. i think the quality of carvins speakers is ok actually, they just arent amazingly efficient and dont have a very good bass response.

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I got a Carvin DCM2000 poweramp. Good constuction and quality, haven't really used it yet since my other ordered items aren't in yet, but the Carvin power/heads are great, I hear. And yes, cabs are slightly on the down side, but you get what you pay for, which is a bargain.

5. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    search around before you buy the carvin 810. I've read things on this and other forums about blowing speakers. Since it's vented on the bottom, its possible to set up a standing wave inside the cab that will blow out the top 2 speakers. I really don't have any proof of this, but on hearing it, i would definately not buy one without investigating further. There aren't any other 810's out there that don't have baffles to seperate the speaker compartments, and i'm assuming that there's a reason for that.

6. schmidtt

schmidtt

Jan 9, 2001
    Does anybody have the RC210 combo? I'm not sure I have the letters and numbers right. I mean the 600W head and and the 2 10 inch speakers. I'm just thinking that might sound good with a Hartke 115 or 410.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have an RC210 (series II). I "upgraded" to an Eden D410-XLT about a month ago and use the R600 head from the combo to power it. I thought the RC210 was a good combo, but it wasn't as loud as I thought it would be and it definitely lacked some bottom end. With the Eden I have the volume on 1 and I'm plenty loud.