1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brendanbass, Jul 31, 2007.

1. brendanbass

brendanbass

Oct 20, 2006
    Indiana
    Ok so i've been doing a lot of research on what my next bass is going to be, and I think i might be leaning twords getting a Carvin.

I'm thinking im gonna get a 4-string fretted p-series LB70W, with standard p-series pick-up configuration and a birdseye maple fingerboard.

Does anyone know much about carvin basses and what sort of deal i'm getting here? advice/thoughts on carvins or recommendations or warnings if you will.

Also if anyone knows what sounds i'm going to get out of whatever types of wood they offer, please advise!

Thanks!:p

2. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    Carvin has great reputation, I have never owned one, but the ones I played were all great, good tone, good build. Carvin is also known for good customer service.

3. I can add a bit of insight.. I've owned an old-fashioned Carvin SB60 for 32 years, and it plays so effortlessly. The tone is awesome for a passive bass. There are plenty of TB members that own or have owned Carvins.. I think most will say they've enjoyed the durability and savings associated with that brand.

4. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    excellent basses, I love em. I prefer J99's to any of their other pickups, but the new soaps are popular.

5. brendanbass

brendanbass

Oct 20, 2006
    Indiana
    wow... i checked that link out.... just the way that thing LOOKS is enough to sell me!

thanks!

ok and question 2:

Walnut or koa? i've been arguing about this with my guitarist and i'm not sure which one gives a better sound. preferably a nice low hhhhmmmmmm. i'm sure you know what i mean.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I bought a brand-new Carvin BB75 (natural walnut) in Sept. 2000 and sold it in 2006 because I wasn't playing it that much after getting my MM Bongo. Anyway, I can tell it's a great and beautiful bass, loved the asymmetrical neck shape and the INCREDIBLY easy access to the 24th fret. It also can work in both active and passive mode and it's one of the widest 5 string necks in the market (something I was looking for when I bought it since I don't like a narrow string spacing). You can see it in action here (not a great performance and the sound isn't good, but anyway...).

7. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Carvins have excellent bang-for-buck. You will be very hard-pressed to find a similar instrument (with custom options) for close to the same prices.

Carvin also has very reasonable build times.

One thing I loved about my Carvin (I had a DC127T guitar; I sold it when I switched over to bass) is that they over-engineer. By that, I mean they think of EVERYTHING that could possibly go wrong and address it, and they also are continually making minor improvements, since they are a smaller company and each instrument is made to order. For example, all their instruments have graphite-reinforcement rods in the necks, in addition to a two-way truss rod. You can choose fret sizes and many other things besides just the color and wood combinations.

My brother wanted a completely "blacked-out" instrument. Black hardware, no fretboard markers, EMG pickups with solid black covers, and needless to say, a black finish. He even asked that they use a black "Carvin" decal on the (matching black) headstock, rather than the white that they would usually use for a black finish, so that it didn't interrupt the flow. They were happy to do that for him. Where else can you get that kind of service, excepting fully custom shops and individual builders?

They have been around for 50+ years and have a solid reputation for customer service after the sale, too (I can attest to this personally).

I highly recommend them as a company, and their instruments are top-notch. The *only* thing I don't like about Carvins are their resale value, compared to Ibanez or Fender, etc.

- Dave

8. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I'd post a link to my thread, but I see that's already been taken care of. I have nothing but positive things to say about Carvin's product and customer service.

9. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    You need to be aware that resale value is nothing with Carvin. I had an LB75 for a few years that I really liked. Just be careful choosing, because if you decide you want something different, your money is just gone. Sorry to rain on the parade, but it's only fair that everybody considering buying a custom bass knows that.

10. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
  11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    One of the finest necks you will have the priveledge to play on. that's all I got to say about that...

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    As stated before, Carvins have very poor resale value, so make damn sure you'll like what you get. They are excellent instruments from everything I've read and my limited personal exposure to them. Personally I think their body shape is ugly and dated (not to mention the headstocks straight out of the 80s), but if you like it that's all that matters. The instrument itself is well crafted and a good value for the money.

13. i bought my LB76 used for 1000$.

i couldn't say more good thing about it than i already do. it is my main bass, it has so many sounds to find! god i love this thing!

when i get a fretless it will be from them.
    now if only they made a hollowbody...

14. kdlunde

kdlunde Guest

Nov 8, 2006
    +1 on the resale comments above, but don't let that be the sole determiner whether you get one or not. I'm playing Warwicks now, but my two previous basses were Carvins (a fretted 4-string and a fretless 5-string). Both were excellent basses. I only sold them because I was ready for something new and couldn't justify owning so many basses. I was actually fortunate in reselling them (both on eBay) and sold both for about $300 less than what I paid. Since I had each bass for about 3 years before I sold, that only worked out to effectively $10/month to play them.

15. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Four models and three body styles to choose from, 4 pickups, a zillion colors and wood choices, several headstock choices (not just the pointy one that some people dislike), you can even choose between several fretwire types.

On top of that, these basses are made very well, and the necks are as playable as anything out there.

I took a leap of faith 3 years ago and ordered my LB70. It's been my main bass ever since, and it really is the nicest bass I've veer played. There is no guarantee that you'd love a Carvin a much as I love mine, of course.

If you haven't taken a look already, there's a great web site called the Carvin Museum that has a ton of info and a friendly forum. There's a link to it in my signature.

16. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    BUY A CARVIN USED!

As soon as you get it your resale drops up to 60%!!!!!!

I really suggest you try to find a used one.

You spend a $1000 for it to become worth $400 overnight?

They are nice basses, but most people end up selling their basses at some point. Things change. I don't have $600 to throw away do you?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvin-Bass-Gui...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvin-LB-70-4-...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvin-Koa-Wood...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvin-LB70-60t...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

17. The gui****ist in my jazz band has a Carvin guitar. It is in the explorer body style made from Koa and sounds really nice and plays well too. Very high quality for reasonable prices is the heritage of Carvin and remains so to this day. I've never heard a bad report on a Carvin and I've been around since the company was founded.

18. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit

I don't buy basses as investments. I buy basses as TOOLS. Use them, abuse them, play em til they die. I ain't interested in resale value. None of my basses were bought on a whim.

If I dump the money into custom-ordering a Carvin, it's gonna be for a bass I'll want for the rest of my playing days. I'd rather invest the money into exactly what I want, instead of buying/selling 6-8 basses until I settle for whatever I can find.

19. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    that aside I cant think of a better bass for your buck then a used carvin in that range. I never knew their resale value was that poor. Perhaps I may pick up a used 6'er in the future..
    Wish that had that tratitional blocky 3+3tuner(for guitar) headstock for basses.