Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Angelo, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Angelo

Angelo

Jan 12, 2002
    Does anyone have any of their heads or cabs they can say anything good about?
    I know their cheap but are they cheap?
    I want to get a 1x15 and a 2x10.
    And i need an amp too.
    Should i consider Carvin?
    Any suggestions?

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've never tried any Carvin amps but I think you should consider as many options as you can. That includes Carvin. Someone else will be through shortly to give you more on Carvin.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My suggestion is first to do a search of Carvin on this site. There is *a lot* there. Then, if you still need to know something, ask *more specific* questions.

4. I own and use the R1000 head, and an older model V115 cabinet. I personally love them, and have not had a problem with their gear.

However, take the above advice and go to their BBS.

http:www.carvin.com/bbs

Go to the Bass amp forum, and read some threads. Ask plenty of questions. Many poeple there are happy to help.

5. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I have a r1000. That baby gets LOUD. I haven't tried the series III head but the tube in the series II is all but pointless, I can't tell any real difference with or without it. It is a great buy for the money.
    As far as reliability, I haven't giged that much with it. Durring a summer gig it got real real hot to the touch and never skipped a beat, but it suprised me at how hot it got.
    I did some recording with it and realy liked it. It gave me some real nice tones. The tone control is amazing. Lots of knobs to play around with, but yet it has a nice flat tone too.
    Before I bought it I played through a friends carvin r600, 1x15, and 4 x 10 and was less than impressed. It sounded very cardboard(?) like. I got my 810 and plugged the r600 in and it sang. You might look around and make sure you know what you are getting, if that is at all possible.
    Now I gave this plug, but can't in all honesty say that I will never ever need anything else. I have plans of buying an all tube preamp and trading(or selling) my r1000 for a dcm 1000. I needed quanity more than quality on a limited budget when I bought this amp and it does a good job for that. It can't compare to a svp-pro though. :)

6. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    the Gist of the whole carvin amp deal is that their amps are quite nice and their speaker cabinets are crap. I've owned the PB-200 combo, the RL410 and RL115 cabinets, and R1000 head. The combo was quite nice for its cost and the head was great, but the speakers were horrible IMO.

7. Angelo

Angelo

Jan 12, 2002
    Thanks falsehoodbass.
    Thats all i had to here.

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'll just chime in here and say that changing out the stock speakers has made me rethink this theory a little. I have an RC210, and after replacing the Carvin PS10's with Eminence Kappas, the whole vibe of the amp has changed. Does it sound as good as an Eden cab?? No, but it sounds significantly better than it did. I bought the Kappas with the intention of building a cab for them. I only slapped them in the Carvin to get through a few gigs, but they're gonna stay there.

-robert

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I've got two Carvin cabs, an RL410T and an older V410.

The Carvin cabs arent crap as stated in a previous post. Are they the best on the market? No, but they definatly are'nt crap. They are definatly built like a tank. The construction on them is definatly 2nd to none. The cabs sound is'nt really that bad either. They have nice cutting mids and crisp highs. The bottom end is'nt too bad, but could be better. Especially if your going to be using a 5 string thru it. The cab is also very inefficient, so if you do purchase one i highly recomend that you have as close to 600 watts power as possible. Im running 120 watts into my 600 watt 4x10, it sounds good at low to medium sound levels, but if i have to get louder it distorts something fierce. So I definatly recomend you have at minimum 350 watts to push it with. On a closing note, I think the Carvin cabs give you the best bang for the buck. And I highly recomend them to anyone on a budget. They arent the best, but you could definatly do alot worse. I think they sound better than ampeg and swr in the same price ranges.

10. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    just FYI, I have a Carvin 2x10 and 1x15 that I will be putting up for sale once my new Aggie cabinets arrive (and I decide I like them). Send me a PM if you decide that is what you want to go with and are interested. they are in great shape and obviously I will sell them for less than the new price.

-KB

11. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    I just bought a Carvin RL1015 (1000W head, 4x10 cab and 1x15 cab).

It just arrived last night, so I haven't had much time to really play with it.

But, there is a LOT of power with this set-up. I have been keeping the master volume around 1-2 because anything higher really shakes stuff in the house.

And, like a lot of the other posts I've read mention, there is a lot of tonal capabilities with the amp. I was playing around with it at lunch time and created some cool "farty" sounds and even managed to squeeze out something that to me sounded like I was playing through an open wah pedal.

Keep in mind, the only thing I had before this amp was a little 15W practice amp. But, so far, this thing rocks. Some say the speakers suck, which may be true. But, I haven't had anything to really compare them to, and they seem to be sounding just fine.

I've noticed that some of the other threads say the noise gate doesn't work very well. I'm not sure if they were playing through a series II or even I. Mine's a series III and I haven't noticed any problems with the noise gate. It's really not needed, but even when it was cranked all the way to the right, I was still able to get a loud note out the first try.

Anyway, keep in mind that Carvin allows you to test out the equipment for 10 days. During that time, you can send it back if you're not happy with it. (Have to pay the shipping costs though, which I'm sure aren't cheap). So far, mine's not going anywhere!

FWIW, I paid $1300 for the whole rack. It even came with a footswitch and speaker cables. I think it's truly a hard deal to beat, especially for some brand new gear.

Brent

12. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I own the new RL810 cab and it sounds great. It is $500 cheaper than Ampeg or SWR. Customer service is awesome and the 10's they use have HEAVY magnets. I had Peavey cabs before this monster and it simply blows those away.

13. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    My Carvin R600 was a great amp. I can't say their speakers are great, but they are ok. Better than some for sure. You just can't beat the tone/quality/price on the Redline Series amps IMHO.

14. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been using Carvin amps and speakers (and PA systems) since 1995 and think they are great. I disagree with the people who say their speakers are crap. After using Carvin speakers for a few years, I bought an Ampeg SVT410 and used it for a couple of years. Recently I sold it and went back to using Carvin. While the Ampeg is a great speaker, it wasn't enough better than the Carvin to deal with hauling it up and down the flight of steps to my townhouse. It weighs twice what the Carvin does, but definately doesn't sound significantly better. In fact, the Ampeg has its own unique sound, while the Carvin is more transparent and doesn't color the sound as much. For me that is better. I sold the Ampeg to the woman who runs the rehearsal studio my band rehearses at, so I still use it every week for practice, and I'm not at all sorry I sold it. Everyone has different tastes, however, so if you have a chance to hear one before you buy it might help you decide for yourself.

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    One or two more things Id like to point out about Carvin that may affect your purchasing decision.

I think they have a 10 day without question return policy. But the only draw back to that is if you dont like the cab, you have to incur shipping costs back to Carvin, and that is somewhat costly.