Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spiketopia, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Spiketopia

Spiketopia

Sep 13, 2001
    Boise Idaho
    Im curious what you all think about Carvin Bass Amps. :confused:

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Because this isn't directly related to "Recordings", it will be moved to another forum.

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have to give Carvins bass amps a thumb down. I ordered one about 2 years ago (RL-1000,4x10,15")and returned them after a week.The enormous amount of features on the amp are too good to be true the quality of the efects are substandard ,the amp was very noisy and even though the head was a thousand watts if didnt seem to have the goods.Some of thier products are great but i would leave the bass amps alone.I have also tried some of the combo amps they offer.didnt like em either.

4. Spiketopia

Spiketopia

Sep 13, 2001
    Boise Idaho
    Thanks for your help.
    i was thinking about getting the same head with 8-10's

one more question was it the head that was bad or the cab

5. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Im gonna have to dissagree with seansbrew, my friend has the same setup the he mentioned and it is awsome, if you know how use it. it is so nice that im going to order one, it should be here in about 3 or 4 weeks( i almost have all the money!!!). I cant wait!!!:cool:

6. Spiketopia

Spiketopia

Sep 13, 2001
    Boise Idaho
    :eek:
    Do you think that the 8-10's is a good setup
    and worth the money

7. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have an R600 and I like the qualityof the amp- metal knobs, nice EQ good versatility in the sound (espcially from the pre-shape buttons). I think the amps are great and well worth the price. The cabs are OK, not super, but there are also both worse and a lot better out there. I used the cabs (a 2x10 and 1x15) for about 1 year with no real complaints. I just upgraded to higher quality cabs mainly for portability but also for sound, but I still use my R600 head.

The head does have a lot of knobs/buttons/etc. and it takes a while to figure out, but once you do...it is worth it.

I'll warn you that you can get some strong opinions on Carvin gear here, just do what feels best for you. Remember that you can always return the Carvin gear within 10 days if you don't like it.

oh yeah...if you don't mind the bulkiness of the 8x10 then it is probably a good setup.

-KB

8. I've used a Carvin R-1000 head for two years now and it's been great,no problems and it sounds good.I also had a RL410t and a RL210 t and they worked fine also.The mids and highs are very good and the cabinets do sound pretty deep,but they could use a little tighter bottom.I switched to Eden 210 xlt cabinets just for their extended low end but in reality the Carvins sound good too,just not quite so deep.The heads just take some time to dial in,they really do sound good.

9. Spiketopia

Spiketopia

Sep 13, 2001
    Boise Idaho
    Thank you all for giving me your thoughts on all my questions.
    You've helped me make an valuable decision.:D

10. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    so I take it your gonna go with the carvin? let us know how you like it when/if you get it.;)

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Especially if the 8x10 is made by someone else. But the R series heads are hard to beat, even by heads that cost quite a bit more.

12. Just recived the RL810 bass system. Will give a full report later. Very good equipment for the money, read my lips, you must take the time to learn to use the system. Most of their speaker enclosuires are flat in tone which may sound strange to the untrained ear. This will through you off if you are used to boom boxes. I have been playing bass for over 40 years. Pointer never mind what you hear next to the speaker, it's what is heard 50 feet or more away.:D

13. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    I just ordered an R600 head should have it in about a week. I shopped around alot, and you cant beat the bang for the buck with the carvin. I also have a question, does anyone use their sansamp with their carvin head and if so do you leave there tube emulator off or do you blend a little in.

George

14. I use an R-1000 head and always use my Bass Driver with it.In fact,although I could get a decent sound without it,I didn't get my sound until I used the Sans Amp.I plug the bass into the Sans Amp then into the active input of the amp.Set all the EQ flat,then dial in a little compression if needed and you can tweek the graphic eq for different rooms.Also I leave the tube gain off cause it doesn't do that much more,but you should try it to see for yourself.Most of the time I don't have to use any extra eq or compression.Some time down the line I'm going to get the Sans Amp RBI so I'll have it all in one rack and wont have to mess with wall warts.The Carvin heads do sound good but I think they sound better with a Bass Driver and it's a lot simpler to use with one of those for a preamp. My name is also George.Your going to have a great sounding rig.

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

George - Playing mainly blues and rock, I don't let one go out in public without the other.

To me, the Bass Driver's Blend has much more impact on warmth than the R heads' Blend. It picks up where the Carvin control leaves off. Maybe the original factory 12AX7's in my R heads just don't have as much to offer.

16. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Hey George, its nice to see someone else born in 9/51, you have 19 days on me. I agree with what you say about the sansamp sound. I've tried a lot of amps in this price range, they all have a different sound but once you turn on the sansamp they sound sooooo much better. I would be lost without it.
    Rick, I was just wondering only because the new series 111 heads took out the tube and went s.s.

George

17. As a guitar player of 27 years now learning bass, I have found there are usually two categories of equipment:

1) Equipment that sounds good (maybe great) and is a good value for the $$$. Great equipment for starting out. Sounds fine. You'll probably get something more "boutique" sounding later as you get better. (See #2)

2) Equipment that sounds GREAT and usually costs a *great deal* more $$$. The holy grail of tone. Great re-sale value and great durability. You get what you pay for.

I find Carvin falls into the first category.

Yesterday I just bought a Carvin PB200-15 combo amp. It sounds absolutely fine to me (and I have picky ears)...I didn't say phenomenal, but fine.

I have no regrets in my decision.

In the future as my ability increases, I will no doubt be buying something in the Aguilar or Eden quality range.

Carl

18. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    so far i have found the series 2 R600 to be wonderful. Im playing it through at RC210 combo, so the speakers arent that great. however, when coupled with a high quality cab, the head really sings. Its a great amp for the money, and defenitly formidable no matter how you look at it. yeah its insane number of tone shaping tools can be overwhelming at first, but if you keep your approach simple, there are some great tones in there. I have no desire to trade the head for another one. now just to find a speaker cab that does it justice.

19. I agree, the R600 head that I own sounds great with my Eden 210T cab. I don't really use much eq on the head. I use the mid shift and thats about it. Sometimes I use the compressor. I actually liked the Carvin better than my buddy's Eden and SWR heads. I liked the price even more! Strangely enough I'm selling that rig since I bought my new EA gear. It's smaller, lighter (except the head) and sounds even better. I like the Carvin/Eden rig but I don't have enough room in my apartment for all of it!

20. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    If you are going for Carvin, don't even think about the R600. For a few more bucks you can get the R1000. Way more amp.