Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Dec 31, 2000.

1. I was wondering if anyone here likes carvin amps. I have seen the R600 and was wondering if anyone here had comments about this particular amp. Also how does it compare to something I have played, like an ampeb b2r...thanks

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I have an R600 and like it better. Some reasons; sophisticated compressor, noise gate, more tone control than a B2R, crossover control, biamp/full range contol,tube pre-amp; all for $10 more.

Downsides include; no local service, lower resale value; no high-falootin' name; weighs 15 lbs. more.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    All that said, but does it sound better? :rolleyes:

4. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I like the Carvin heads, overall. You should do a search for "Redline" or "R600" or "R1000" in this forum, because there's a lot of stuff (including my own comments) posted about these amps. I also recommend looking in the usenet news groups - or http://www.deja.com for archives. Lots of Carvin discussion. Also check out the reviews under http://www-eksl.cs.umass.edu/~schmill/bass-rev.html.

I can't really compare them to other recent models, other than my Fender BXR300 head. A *quick* summary:

1. Power output rating is a little on the liberal side, in my opinion. Count on 80-85% of the factory's rating as being really clean power. If you need lots of power for loud music, I would seriously consider getting the R1000 instead.

2. The bi-amp frequency selection stops at 200 Hz., which is not low enough for some set-ups.

3. The controls offer huge flexibility and are well laid out. The downside is: you have to really read the instructions and think about what you're doing. It is a sophisticated amp, and once you set it up correctly, it can sound great. There's a huge variety of tone available, depending on the music you do.

4. The compressor is nice, but the noise gate is close to useless. However, the amplifier is quiet - I don't use the gate at all.

5. The construction is pretty solid, and the guts look to be of very good quality.

6. The direct line out in back is very "hot" so you might need to pad it down when running into a mixer.

7. I was happy enough with the features and quality of my R600 that I went and added an R1000 to my rig (the R600 alone wasn't quite enough power to drive my inefficient Carvin speakers to high enough volumes). I have not any problems whatsoever with either head. I'm an engineer, and IMO, Carvin knows how to do electronics very well.

- Mike

5. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    One other thing: I kind of wish Carvin had used different kinds of toggle switches other than the push buttons. It is hard to see (especially in bad light) whether they are in or out. If they had rocker switches, up/down sliders, or even just an LED indicator by each push-button, that would be a vast improvement. The graphic EQ switch does activate such an LED, but that's about it. This doesn't hinder me much, but a more "readable" alternative would be an improvement.

- Mike

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Oysterman - That's too subjective for me to touch with the info. jim the bass player supplied. IMHO, each one has strengths/weakensses depending on what's being fed into it, what the watts are pouring into, and the musical application for which it's used.

jim - like MikeyD, I use the R1000 with the R600 when only megawatts and earplugs will save the day. Believe it or not, Carvin has been around a couple of years longer than Ampeg. (Doesn't mean they're any better).

7. Al Steen

Al Steen

Feb 1, 2000
    My Cyclops has the r-600 and I've found it more than adequate for every gig I've done with it. It has a myriad of different sounds so you shouldn't have any problem that way. I have heard about quality control probs but mine has been perfect so far. Truly, if you need to be louder, you're prolly gonna go through the PA anyhow. .. Al

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'm right up there with Al. I'm running an RC210 combo, and since I got it 2 years ago I haven't had any problems, and it has handled every gig that has come along. I have a home-made 1X15 cab that I run bi-amped when the need arises, or sometimes when I just want an impressive looking 'stack' onstage. Believe it or not, one band that I sub with from time-to-time has two guitar players that feel the need to play through Fender stacks, (100 watt heads with 2 4X12 cabs), no matter what size room we're in!!! If I really want to embarrass them, I leave the bottom cabinet at home and keep up with this little 2X10 combo!!!

I do agree with the push-button complaint. Toggle switches would be easier to check at a glance, although a finger passed lightly across the buttons usually lets me know what's going on. Also, the noise-gate doesn't do it for me either. Cuts out when playing a soft ballad. I just turn the thing off...

-robert