Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslax, Jan 1, 2001.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    hi everybody...
    i was looking through my carvin catalog and really saw how nice those lb70s looked and i wanted to check them out but then remembered in order to do that i would have to go across the continent :( . So my question(s)..how would you describe the carvin sound? what bass does it most resemble (in sound)? is it comparable to higher end basses ( >$1500 ) in sound quality? and most importantly...do you have a sound sample?? no, nothing with fancy slap licks or $3000 eden amps to mask the sound, just a plain sample of a lb70. even in your band's recording or something would be cool i just need to hear it!! please!!

thank you

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    On Carvin's website Bunny Brunel plays his signature model in a rather long MP3 (9 min 17 s). Gives a good idea what it'll sound like - i.e. running direct.

In fact, that recording made me decide to look elsewhere for my next bass (it became a Yamaha), I thought it just sounded like, faceless.

See for yourself, though - you might like it.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

basslax- Maybe I can help confuse you. I received an LB75 a couple of weeks ago. If I relied on the Carvin demos I would never have bought it, as Oysterman indicated, nor the Cyclops amp that came with it. (That demo was nothing like the actual amp). I think Carvin is a bit too optimistic about what the MP3's can replicate, plus, the Bunny Brunel demo only demos the J99 pups. However, I was getting rid of an old LB75 and wanted the updated pickups, among other things. You can get the same pups I have, the J99 and the HB humbucker option and get a wide array of sounds, depending on the limitations of the amp and the strings used (the Carvin strings were promptly removed from mine). I still keep my pre-CBS Precis and old Rick because they have signature sounds, but the Carvin can come close. It is EXTREMELY versatile as are Carvin amp heads.

IMHO, the LB70 didn't win 3 Bass Player awards for the nice case you buy with it.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 01-01-2001 at 05:42 PM]

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    EEEP, wrong answer ;) - it demoes the HB2 + J99 config.

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    yah i heard that sample a while ago but im not even going to begin to think how much EQ and junk that sound is put through..plus bunny brunel sounds good in technique its not just his bass. i was just looking for something with a simple amp and a non-pro player.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, I think that it really IS recorded straight into the board, meaning with NO equalization. However, as you say, a big part of the tone is in your hands. And if I don't like the sound when Bunny plays it, I find it unlikely I will dig it when I play it myself. But again, I might be wrong.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The demo page picture shows him holding one with only the J99 pups. Do they tell you in the demo it's both the 99's and the HB2's? I can't remember. Not that it's a big deal to me, but if it is both, that means the demo is even shabbier than I thought!

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Listen to the demo and he will talk a lot about the "humbucking bridge pickup" on the bass. First he tests the bridge pickup w/ coil splitter, so it makes it sound like a J99, then he says he switches it to humbucking mode.

Not that much of a difference to my ears.

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I use a carvin LB-70 with (J99 and HB2) with my band. If you want to listen to samples got to our mp3.com website
    http://www.mp3.com/thebillion

the recordings are just ambient mic recordings (a lot from one of our live shows) but the bass is very much in the foreground. I really love the versitility of my Carvin (I play it a lot more than my other basses).
    On different songs I use different sounds with the bass (all on mp3.com).

I am no pro, so maybe this is the "recordings" you would be looking for.

-KB

10. SFB

SFB Guest

Was just on the billion.Which song is yours?You don't tell what your band name is in your profile.I listened to every
    song on the billion some good some eh.I would like to hear that Carvin.Pleeeese.

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, perhaps they call themselves... The Billion...?

:rolleyes:

12. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I have an LB70 and the thing sounds great and is very well constructed. It has the best slap tone I have ever heard (deep and rich) and creates some of the best finger sounds I've heard. It easily sounds as good as any of the Tobias', Spector's, Musicman's and others I have owned. (Incidentally, I sold all of those.) It's quite versatile and able to create a sharp Jaco like sound and a foul P bass tone if I wanted it. With the case, construction and hardware, it would be difficult to to find a better deal for a new instrument. The electronics may not be the most powerful around but I prefer that. I prefer a recognizable but subtle boost and that is what the Carvin produces.

13. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    all songs on the mp3.com website for my band use the Carvin LB70 as the bass. I wrote approx 1/2 of the songs (and sing on about 1/4 to 1/3). The bass is featured a lot on the songs "cheese box", "Inside my head", "Nothing", "Currifunka" and just thumping on "lucky charm" (which is a song just for goofy fun that we occasionally do live).
    We are an eclectic band that plays various styles and experiments with things. the 2 CDs have 2 different drummers with 2 different styles.
    check them out
    http://www.mp3.com/thebillion

the name of the band is "The Billion" (carl sagan reference, plus a reference to many styles of music). We have about 10-12 other songs that are not on these recordings that we hope to have there soon.
    I hope these recordings can give you some idea of the sounds from the Carvin with J99/HB2 pups.

by the way, I am in the photo on the site holding the Carvin (kinda near the middle on the ladder)

-KB

[Edited by KB on 01-03-2001 at 05:39 PM]

14. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    wow thanks a lot everyone especaially KB that was exactally what i was looking for. thanks. what kind of options do you have on that bad boy KB? HB2? what kind of woods?

again, thanks a lot.