Carving Necks...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Cerb, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Okay, I've just bought a book on instrument building to fill the gaps between the stuff I know and don't know before I start on my first bass project. It explains the different steps of shaping the neck and such, but it says to do that before fitting the rest of the body to it. This confused me a bit because I had read multiple times on these forums, as well as other places, that neck shaping comes after the body is put together. Is this more of a personal preference sort of deal? The attached picture kind of shows the way I wasnt the neck to come into the body (The top horn just cuts right across to the lower one, and the base of the neck is actually slanted). Am I correct that this would be more easilly accomplished by fitting everything together beforehand?

P.S. Yes, it is neck-through if I hadn't made that clear.

Edit: The 2nd picture that I have uploaded may give a better idea of what I'm talking about.
  2. andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    I don't think that applies to neck-through basses. Two comments:
    1. What is that divot in the back? and
    2. That is a beautiful-looking bass.
  3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Get as much shaping done before you glue the wings on (you'll have more freedom to get at the neck) and then work on just the heel once the wings are on.
  4. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Thanks much. I imagined this to be the case but wanted to ask before I screwed something up.
  5. M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    "What is that divot in the back?"

The thing on the bass-side horn looks like glare.

It's personal preference. I shape my necks on the drum of a stationary belt sander, so I would shape the neck as much as possible before gluing on the body wings. Just save the heel for once the wings are glued on.

I've never done a thru-neck, my next bass will be a thru-neck, and this is how I will do it.