Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin's bass amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J.T. Chester, May 5, 2005.

1. I've been looking at Carvin's Redline 600 & 1000, both combos & seperates.

I've played some of their amazing guitars & basses, but have never even SEEN any of their amps up close, much less played one.

Does ANYONE have any experience with Carvin's bass amps? :help:

2. Yes and my opinion of them isn't very good I'm afraid. The cabs are well made, priced right and sound just awful. The 600 and 1000 heads are overly complicated, have the worst compressors I've ever heard and their power ratings seem to be optimistic at best.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The Carvin Redline series has been talked about plenty of times on this forum. Do a Search for Carvin and you'll pull them up.

To give the overall consensus is that most don't hate the tone from them but that the sound is lacking. Some really like the tone though. The new BRX series from what I have heard has good tone and the cabs can handle the lows with no problem. Personally, I haven't tried any of their bass amps and only one of their cabs, the RL118. I did like the cab.

4. I play through one of the "redeye combo's" (R600 + 2x10) a couple of times a week.

It makes me sad...

but not sad enough to bother carting my own amp around with me...

I'd say Mudbass's response sums it up pretty well. Rather difficult to get a reasonable sound out of... and if you do... make sure you have a piece of paper handy to write down the positions of the 56,000 different buttons, knobs and sliders...

5. Thanks, guys. Exactly what I needed to know.

Guess I'll keep huntin'. :ninja: ...for something I can play BEFORE I buy. :eyebrow:

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The Redlines are fine IMO. I was able to get a good sound out of mine. I liked mine better than comparable G-K or Ampeg.

IMO the BRX series, which I have now, is better, though.

YMMV.

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I had one of the Carvins, and got rid of it. It just wasn't.... well, it just wasn't. :meh:

There are MUCH better heads that you can grab for similar money. The Kustom GrooveBass, GK 1001-RBII and Traynor YBA200 all come to mind.

Even the Ashdown MAG 300 (approx. ~$300) would be worth checking out....

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I love the tone of the Redline series. The key to understanding is to take the time to learn how to use its features properly. I have a Cyclops combo that I wouldn't trade for anything. It has been reliable, flexible and has sounded fantastic since I got it. Just my opinion.