carvins bass kits

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THUMPER73533, Feb 24, 2006.

1. THUMPER73533

Feb 23, 2006
    has anyone ever built one of these kits. good or bad results?
  2. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I built the BK4, passive with J99 pickups. Alder body, ebony fingerboard, gold plated hardware, string through option.

It was delivered to Canada in about 1 week. Arrived in perfect condition.

Excellent quality in all parts. Everything fit perfectly. Body requires slight final sanding before finish is applied. Complete finishing instructions for a MinWax finish included. Assembly instructions very easy to follow. Pickups need to be soldered to pots. Diagram included.

I put on a stain and a hand rubbed varnish finish which required some time. A wipe on MinWax finish would be much easier and still look good.

It plays beautifully. Best neck of any production bass I've owned. Superb fret work. Neck is a dream to play on and easy to set up with no buzzes from high frets or neck inconsistancies.

very light weight (7 lbs) and excellent balance. Comfortable body.

With stock J99s and Carvin roundwound strings it has a very modern J sound. The J99s are pretty hot. Usual buzzing unless both pickups at same volume, but no worse than any passive Fender with single coils.

With Thomastic flatwounds I can get a nice vintage 60s sound.

I would definitely get another if I could get one routed for a P-J set up, but the factory doesn't do it. I may buy another and route for a P in the neck position and make a small fingerboard to hide the route.

Personally, I prefer the Carvin over any Fender jazz I've played. Vintage Fender freaks will not agree with me.

I like the Carvin very much. All the good things you hear about the neck are true.
  3. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I built one too. Easy to put together & quality parts. As I've said a few times before, the hardest part was just having the patience to let the coats of finish dry. ;)
  4. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i haven't built one, but from what i've heard and seen, they are excellent.
  5. good question! great answers!
    i have been very curious about Carvin's kits. they look like fun, but i was afraid they would be less than excellent. thanks for the info!! :cool:
  6. Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    I just looked @ their kits today. they look cool.

I was just thinking for mine I'd put a black walnut carved top on it along w/ some other mods...
  7. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    What everyone else has said; excellent playing basses and quality parts. Here's the three I built:

8. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i just a geetar kit. it is in the process of getting painted at this point.

so far everything looks great.