Carvin's Neo 15 inch 8 ohm Driver!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joegeezer, Aug 24, 2009.

1. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    View attachment 137544
    Gotta say right away to Bill F. Bill, I never have eaten any snails. I swear. I was going to try them when I was living in California, but I couldn't make myself eat them.
    Now that that's out of the way. The FedX guy pulled up this morning , and had the Carvin 15 8 ohm neo driver, that I just bought from LiamG , here on TB. So I went to it and put it in my vacant, Avatar B115 cab. Win-Isd calls for 3.3 for this driver and the Avatar is 3.8 tuned for 40 hz, but I live dangerously anyway, so in it went. I fired it up and am quite impressed with it. I AB'd it next to my Eden CX1015 cab, which has an Eminence 3015 (non LF), a Eminence Beta 10 Co-axial, and a 1 3/8 Piezo driver on it. It's 3 cu.ft. tuned to 45 hz. The Carvin doesn't go as low as the 3015 does, but if you like a really growlly mid-bassed sound, this is your driver. I hit it with the full 500 watts from my power amp, and it took it with no wimpers at all. Really not a bad sounding cab now. Different than the Eden cab sounds but still a fine sounding cab. I'd gig with either one. Now I have to decide which one to sell, or both , maybe. So if you have an empty cab around, and you go for the growlly mid-bass growl, go with these drivers. They are at a good price , handle power well, they only weigh 8 lbs., and sound really nice. Snails or no snails.

If you are wondering about the snails........................
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569359&highlight=carvin+neo+driver

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    So the carvin neo is not a direct replacement for the non neo carvin uses in its lsx1503. I cant imagine that the driver in the lsx1503 has only 3.1mm xmax (referencing a post in the "snail" link above)

3. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    I'm actually the one who posted the driver's specs, as they were as given to me by someone from Carvin. And they said the Neo 15 driver was 3.1 X-max. Greenboy wanted the specs, so I posted them here for him. I must say that the cone is very stiff, and doesn't move near as much as the Eminence drivers do under power. It may well be 3.1. But still, it doesn't fart out under power, and I think that is great, for the price tag.

4. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Very cool. Glad you like it! :)

5. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hmmm, I wonder how these drivers would do in an EV TL606 ... it's about the right size. I love the 3015's I have in mine and have no plans to swap them out, but it sounds like these might make a good bargain lightweight swap from the original drivers ...

Cheers,
    Liam

6. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    I'm sure that they would. You just won't get as much low end, but they sure do have a sweet mid--to-low bass growl to them. They will handle more power than the 3015's too. I kinda like the sound, even though I'm more of a scooped mids kinda guy. I almost bought the set of EV boxes you have. I was first on the punch, but let them go. Thats a sweet pair.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If they work for you all well and good, but what you call growl and mid-bassed sound I call a lack of low end, so they wouldn't give me what I want. I stand by my comments on the lack of specs for them. Someone buying a driver should have a very exact expectation of what the driver is capable of, and what it's not capable of. Or, to use another food analogy, drivers aren't like a box of chocolates: you should always know what you're going to get.

8. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Are you referring to the NE15-8? From your description, it's tone might be up my alley, I've been thinking about a loading a second cab to complement my EVM-15B loaded Sonic. But I'm a little confused that Carvin calls it an 8-ohm driver while their specs show a 600 watt power rating at 4 ohms:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=NE15-8&cid=52

9. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I think that's a typo. They had the NE15-4 up on their site for a while before they listed the 15-8, and probably just copied the text over. But it is indeed the 15-8 that I sold to Joe.

Cheers,
    Liam

10. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thats OK Bill! I just had to give you a little bit of fun about the snails thing. For all of us out here who only have your ears to judge by, they actually do sound fairly good for the cash out lay, and they seem to hold power quite well. I think they will fill the bill for alot of guys looking lighten up their rigs on a budget. I do like my 3015, in the Eden cab a little better, because I like a scooped mid sound. These Carvin drivers will probably cut through better on stage though.

11. Carvin's renowned for the apparent absence of proofreaders!

Does anyone claim to know the manufacturer and model of these drivers? I know the previous ones were Eminence, and were cheaper through Carvin than from any other outlet I found.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Carvin never used to publish specs. After a bit of prodding, they produced some outdated and never updated specs and now I guess they said to hell with it.

They always used to be a wholesale customer of eminence but maybe they got a better deal on neos from celestion, who knows? They switched their guitar speakers from carvin branded to V30's a while back, maybe got a good deal on celestion supplying the whole line?

Anyway, good luck on finding specs, you're likely not going to...

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    They did publish complete specs going back at least 12 years, it's just recently that they've made them impossible to find, and the specs they have available are mainly on older obsolete drivers that are no longer in inventory anyway.
    One reason why they've moved away from Eminence probably has to do with price. The other may be that Eminence's current OEM driver policy forbids an OEM purchaser from selling their OEM drivers at retail except as spare parts replacements, and any manufacturer that does so may be cut off by Eminence. Since Carvin offers their OEM drivers for retail sale to anyone, not just Carvin owners, the two policies are incompatable.

14. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    I've decided since I already own two Avatar 410 Neo cabs, and the Eden CX1015 cab, that I'm going to put this one in the classified's here on TB. If you want a sweet cab for a great price, check it out!!

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021