Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvins really that bad?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Dec 30, 2002.

1. im looking to buy some new cabs..i have an swr 1-15, and an ampeg 4-10..but i just want another company....so how about the carvin 4-10 and 1-15??? i heard some pretty nasty things about them, can anyone change my mind?

2. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    i've got the r600 head and their 4x10, 1x18 combo. plenty of sound for my purpose, which is a rock club setting. the guys at the clubs downtown love how easy it is to get my bass to sound good through their mixing consoles by plugging in the direct out of the r600. only thing i'm thinkin about changing is going from the 18 to a 15 for a little more punch. overall you get a very definitive tone, easy to hear the harmony between your notes and those of your bandmates. the best thing about carvin (aside from the factory direct prices) is that they give you a trial period. if you decide it's not quite what you're looking for, you can always trade it back in for your money (as long as it's within the grace period - see the catalog). as far as the whole delivery thing goes, mine arrived in perfect condition; no problems. one word of advice though - if you get a head with only 1/4" jacks (no speakon), get yourself some 12 gauge cables to go from the head to the cabinets. gave me a much fuller sound; it was like having a whole new toy! hope that helps; enjoy your purchase.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    why on earth (unless you had monetary issues) would you go from swr and ampeg to carvin?! :eek: you can do much better than that on a trade at the very least... :confused:

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i just noticed that you are in WB PA. don't waste your time on carvin: it'll take too long to get it and decide if you like it or not. get over to the bass palace and check them out. bring your swr and ampeg cabs and see what he can do for you... he almost always has more than what is listed on the site. just don't bring that sunn cabinet because he probably won't take it and be happy about it...

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Get the carvin if you want it. cheap, and very good for the price. I would recomend them, and i would not just IGNORE a cab i wanted just because it would take a while to to me:rolleyes: Thats retarded. No carvins are not bad, not bad at ALL.

In fact, i'm thinking of getting a full carvin rig.

I would take any carvin over ampegs "Played thru a pillow" sound.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Like Josh says, for the price, they are excellent. I have an R600 head, (out of an RC210 combo), and it is a flat out workhorse. I can always get my sound with no problems, and have never had a glitch on a gig, (well, those broken input jacks, but that was kinda my fault!)...

The 2X10 cab was workable, and actually sounded pretty good with some Eminence Kappa's and some acoustical batting added... For the money, it was fine, and by the time I retired it, it didn't owe me a cent. Side by side with an Eden 2X10 however, the difference was quite apparent to my ears. I know, I know... apples and oranges. Suffice it to say that I am much happier with my rig using the R600 head to push 1 or 2 home made 1X15 cabinets...

FWIW,
    -robert

7. Carvin stuff is decent for what you pay for it. Guys like to bash it because it's so common. I've got one of their powered PA heads. This is the 2nd band I've used it in and it is still holding up. I also have a DCM1000 (i think) I like it just fine.

8. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    I can't speak about the cab's, I've never tried them, I love my R-600 head and I use a Carvin PA, head and speakers. We had a gig this past Saturday and a Bose PA was already set up, so we used it. Our sound guy didn't like the way the vocals sounded. So for the third set we set up our Carvin PA, it blew away the Bose. Of course your mileage may vary.

George

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I liked my Carvin a lot. I used the Carvin Cyclops, the RC210, and the RC210 with the 18. But I like my Ampeg gear better. The Carvins are good stuff though, they just weren't the final answer for me.

10. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have Carvin's R1018 rig - R1000 head, 4x10 and 1x18 cabs. For my purposes, it's great. Reliable, loud, sounds good, and didn't cost me much.

For smaller gigs, I only take 4x10 with me. 18 adds that low-end rumble which I like. I wish I had a 2x15 as well, but that will have to wait...

11. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I have an old Fender Sidekick 15" speaker cab that I replaced the speaker with the 8 Ohm Carvin pro audio and a Carvin 2-10 cab. I drive them with a Sunn 2000S and a Workingman 300. They sound great to this geezers ears. YMMV

12. i actually got the swr on a trade in from the swami at the bass palace..good guy, and i already unloaded my sunn..wouldnt think of wasting the swami's time on that, haha, i dunno why i want carvin...ive always been intrigued by them, im sick of having to worry about my cabs holding up when we play shows, i just want some tough cabs, that if they get broken..i wont care so much about it. ive just heard some bad things about the dependability of their stuff.

13. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I USED TO own carvin gear (R600, 2x10 and 1x15). The speaker cabinets are very inefficient and the 1x15 doesn't really accentuate the lows as it should, they are just OK, but there are better options with other brands (I bought two Aguilar GS112s and they just blew the Carvin rig out of the water.)
    As for the R600, it was the main reason I got rid of Carvin gear. I live on the east coast so shipping to Carvin takes 1 week in each direction. The first R600 I got from them had a bad ground in it and picked up radio very loudly so I sent it back for a replacement. The 2nd one had a bad buzz that would intermittently come and go. It was sent to Carvin 3 times for repair (all under warranty), but the first time it took 1 week for shipment, 3 weeks to "repair" and 1 week for return shipment. This really sucked not having my amp for over a month, plus getting it back and having it not be fixed. They got many nasty phone calls from me as their customer service was sub-par. They did fix the problem on the 3rd repair attempt (with about 1 week left in the 1 year warranty), but at that point I was to disgusted with them to care. I sold all Carvin gear I had.

Other people may have had better experiences, but mine turned me off to Carvin. Their power amps I have heard are OK, but I have no expereinces with them. I think their biggest problem is quality control.

but as always, YMMV. You can always try it to see if you like it, but don't forget you can send it back if it is not what you want.

-KB

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    if you are looking for some good Cheap cabinets that won't break your back.. you should look into avatar cabs... They are inexspensive and from everyones reviews about them.. they are great...

I really dig carvin amps.. I am using the Carvin DCM1500 power amp and it has plenty of power and doesn't colour my tone at all.. The cabs.. I have only played through a friends rig and the speakers were just ok.. I only got a muddy sound with them.. But I didn't spend massive amounts of time with the rig either..

15. SCH

SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'm not a huge Carvin fan. My first rig was an R-1000, 2X10, and 1X15. I'm still using the head (although not for much longer), but I never use the cabs anymore. The thing that makes Carvin attractive is the price. And let's face it, price is a major issue for most of us. I suspect, however, that if money weren't the issue, folks that rave about Carvin would be buying something else. Their amps are pretty good (especially if you like twiddling with knobs), but IMO the cabs are so-so at best.

16. Carvin cabs blow.
    410 has no bass - AT ALL!! The 15 is fart-y. If its any consolation, Carvin wil blatently lie to you to get you to buy thier cabs. The return policy is nice, but is pointless cuz with cabs, the shipping costs mitigates it.

I was glad to take a loss to get rid of those.

I play swr and Eden now.

17. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I find this VERY strange. Last 3 gigs, I played my Warmoth fretless passive Jazz through R1000 and Carvin 4x10, all amp tone controls (parametric, EQ, and Boost/Shift switches) set on flat, and all 3 times band mates asked me to REDUCE bass.

I play my Jazz either with both pups on full or just with the bridge pup, and I get plenty of nice, round, well-defined lows.

18. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    What do you mean "reduce bass?" Maybe with your J bass and the lack of "real" low end response from the Carvin 410 cabinet, they're used to not feeling or maybe even hearing you at all?

Do they really mean you're too loud in their minds? Or because you're on a fretless, maybe there's a lack of percussiveness and definition, it's blurry sounding? Or maybe as is the case with my band members, they just outright are uncomfortable with the sound of a fretless bass/you're maybe slightly out of tune with the rest of the band? and they're telling you to turn down the bottom end because it doens't "sound right" to them?

My very uneducated guess, not knowing you or your band at all is that they're not used to feeling and possibly hearing you. If anything, they're probably too loud and are burying you in the mix with your jazz bass and now your fretless which doesn't have as clean a tone and precise an intonation, comes a rumbling through and they're trying to tell you to play the J bass!!

Who knows. Good luck to you. I sold my fretless. I use the tone and volume I want to. No one tells me to tune up or down, change it. I feel that I know what I'm doing and what they're doing. They don't however know what I'm doing!!

Just a thought.

LKaye

19. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    It would seem from reading different posts and reviews over the years that the quality of Carvin bass gear is luck of the draw. Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't remember hearing such variance in opinion about quality with many other companies. I choose an Avatar over a Carvin cab because of this very thing. Avatar really is a great bargain and I've not heard any real bad experiences that I can remember. I've heard some real Carvin horror stories though. Probably due to the whole shipping thing.
    not78pbass is right about the return policy, you can return it, but you're gonna pay the $50-$85 bucks for shipping if you do.
    BTW I use a Carvin R600. I bought it used on Ebay and I love it. I don't know if I'd pay new price and risk the headaches though. Probably get an old Yamaha bass preamp and a carvin power amp.

Happy shopping.

20. In fear of being abrasive (not my intent), I want to say that one man's mercedes is another man's Yugo, or something :)

I am not alone in my assessment:
    HC reviews