Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvins?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Feb 20, 2001.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Ok, I was at church last Sunday and the bassist there was playing a Carvin 6 String. It had a single MM style pickup. I looked on the Carvin website and I can't find anything that resembled the bass he was playing? Does anybody know what bass this is, or could it just be a custom?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. did it just have the one pickup?

i know The Bunny Brunel six-string bass has 2 pickups, one like the stingray and on like a jazz.

if you built a bass on their site they let you choose a ton of options.

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I only saw the bass from a distance, but I'm almost positive that A.) It WAS a Carvin B.) That it had only 1 MM style pickup C.) It was a 6 string (know that for sure...counted the tuners:D)

I'm not absolutely for certain that it only had 1 p-up, but if I was a bettin' man I'd bet my money on it (what little I have:D)

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

hunter, it sounds like the MM and single J option on the LB76 or BB76.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I will double check Wednesday to see, but you are most likely right.

Thank ye kindly, sir:D

6. It is possible that he talked Carvin into doing just a MM pickup since almost everything is done custom shop, however when I talked to them about doing that they gave me a huge runaround. However the MM+J option is one that they offer in their catalog.

7. It is a possibility, but i highly doubt it. Most likely has the j pup in the neck position

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I doubt it, too. Carvin isn't as custom as most people seem to think. Their idea of customization is choosing from models they're willing to make. Something simple like omitting a pickup or changing their location shines a light on this fact.

9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I appreciate everyone's input so far....

I'll have the update later tonight after I get home from church. Then I'll pretty much be able to answer my own question. All I know is that I'm SERIOUSLY GAS'n now:(

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It's possible he had them install a single HB pup. If you are persistent and finally talk to the right person, you can get them to deviate from their standard practices. Plus, you have to be willing to wait a little extra time, I've found.

I told them how tight I wanted the grain on my quilted top and I also got them to throw in casters for free on one of my amps. The tight grain quilt added some time to my body top order since they had to check their dried wood.

11. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    maybe he had a stingray (bear with me here) and broke the neck and bought a carvin neck?? are you sure its carvin or did it just say carvin on the headstock?? :D :D :p no im serious though.

12. KillMary

KillMary

Jan 25, 2001
    Yeah I'd say it's probably just a Carvin neck.
    Carvin has this page where they sell basses that have already been made. Every once in a while you'll see something in there that is not standard - they'll experiment with something and then sell it.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Good guess, Kill. I asked them yesterday about the fliers, (not catalogs), they distribute in S. Cal. They responded they only put those out in S. Cal. to test market new products for mass distribution elsewhere.(I said, "Great, that kind of market testing will only tell you if something flies in S. Cal demographics, marketing genius :) )

14. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

I'm positive it wasn't a 'Ray. Like I said, I'll have more info after I get back from church (in a few hours).

15. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i know, i was using that cus its a common example of a bass with a MM pickup (hence the name). but there are so many MM style basses with different bodies. maybe he used a carvin kit and put a humbucker in there. are you gonna talk to him or just try to get a closer look?