Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kakulash, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Kakulash

Jun 18, 2004
    I have a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB II and run it through an Ampeg 4X10s cab, but it doesn't sound as good as a Carvin PB100-15... what gives?

Anyone else have a small amp that sounds better than their larger, more expensiver, and supposedly "better" rigs?
  2. It's all in your head - we all get programmed to think that if we have that new Fodera or that new Epifani (no reason I pick on those two) that we will immediately become better bassists, or at least sound better.
    Go with your gut and your ears. If it sounds better to you then use it. I know guys who are head over heels in love with their MIM Fenders, or even Squires (banish the thought!) than anything else Guitar Center had. I haven't owned a lot of rigs, but the one I have now, an ampeg Portabass 1x10 an an SWR ST-220 sure sounds better than some stuff I've had.
    I do imagine the GK/ampeg rig can go a whole lot louder though. There are pluses and minuses to each.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Is it possible that you just like the sound of a 15 better than a 4x10? Apples and oranges. Define "sounds better" and we might understand your tastes.
  4. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    you sure carvin beats gk ?

i love gk
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  6. The voicing of bass amps divides us, doesn't it?
  7. hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    GK has never impressed me that much. I have a small Carvin pro bass 150 (15 inch 150 watts), and a Carvin 1000 watter that I don't really use. Both sound a lot better than GK in my opinion, although I'm sure GK has some high end stuff that is alright. My main amp is an Eden traveler and 4x10 cab, which sounds amazing. The Carvin is definitely not as nice as the Eden, but it sounds good enough.

It's certainly possible for the Carvin to sound better than GK. It depends on your tastes. GK definitely doesn't do it for me. Not to mention Carvin is a hell of a lot cheaper :)