Casady Bass Pickup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldleftybass, Jan 12, 2015.

1. oldleftybass

oldleftybass

Jan 24, 2013
    I'm in the process of converting my Casady bass to a lefty. I made a lefty bone nut and reversed the strings, reset the bridge and strung it up so it's playable. While I had the strings off I pulled the pickup to get a look under. I noticed that the pickup doesn't look "symmetrical"- there's a metal bar on the treble end and the electrical connections on the other. When I replaced the pickup I flipped it, figuring that it might have "a bass end and a treble end".

Anyone know any more about the construction of the pickup? Is it "asymmetrical"?

20150110_143249_zps8a5491ad.jpg

Next step is to drill the holes and flip the electronics, plug the old holes and smooth them over. Refinish will have to wait until warmer weather- spraying nitro in the closed up garage isn't going to work.

I also noticed the interesting construction of the center bar. It's solid under the neck and under the bridge, but routed down 90% the rest of the way. A thin layer against the back in between. It really is a hybrid semi/hollow-body.

Anyone have a good photo of their bridge? I'd like to get a look at the height and angle/rake of your set-up.

2. oldleftybass

oldleftybass

Jan 24, 2013
    Bump for any help?

3. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    I'm curious too. This is probably the modern day "Mystery Pickup" (ala the old Ampeg Scroll pickup ) because the pickup as well as the bass are totally unique creatures unto themselves.

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    No idea, but from what I've read, the pickup was the one thing about his original Gibson that Jack insisted needed to be replaced for the signature model. Don't know where the new pickup came from, if I recall, it has "Electrar" on the front.

5. oldleftybass

oldleftybass

Jan 24, 2013
    Finally got going on my lefty conversion. I pulled the electronics, looks to be just like the schematic. One pot has 2.5 stamped on it, the other is stamped 500 but has 2.5 printed on it? The volume pot has the "treble bleed" gizmo and both of the caps are "mustard blob" tantalum as per the schematic. Holes drilled and old ones plugged, skimmed with Bondo, lefty bone nut fabricated.

20150125_225031_zpsaed806c8.jpg

20150124_155859_zpsbcdcc23c.jpg

20150125_144933_zps33c207fc.jpg

20150110_215322_zps6812cd22.jpg

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    You must have worked in the repair department of CME in the old days. ;)

7. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    A lot of people don't know how good of a repair material Bondo is for any kind of wood repair that will have a solid finish. I learned about it from a finish carpenter who was installing a curved staircase in a house I was framing. He put up the curved skirt boards on the second floor in glued layers and slicked all the seams with bondo, finish sanded and it was beauty-ous after paint. When you think about it, Bondo is as high end of a filler/patch you can get for a painted finish, as opposed to wood fillers which are homeowner grade rubbish, only good for nail holes, basically.
    I mean, it has its limitations, nobody is going to cast a body out of it or use it in place of wood or a proper adhesive where that is needed, but within reasonable bounds it can't be beat.

8. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    It is certainly a lot quicker than making proper wood plugs for the holes, I'll give you that. :)

9. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    He did say he plugged and skimmed it...pretty much my gist too.:)

10. oldleftybass

oldleftybass

Jan 24, 2013
    Easy there big fella. Plugged the holes with tapered maple plugs (widgetco.com) and Titebond to match the maple top. Sanded flat, Bondo just to fill any cracks and seams. Couldn't do that if it was going to be a sunburst or natural top, but for a black finish it works just fine. Bondo sure beats the "plastic wood" stuff for this purpose.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  11. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Sorry, I stand corrected. I saw "plugged, skimmed with Bondo" as just using Bondo, which is how Chicago Music Exchange used to do work on vintage instruments.

I am sure you are doing a much better job of modifying the bass than Gibson/Epiphone would have done so. :)

bholder likes this.
  12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I bought some Minwax "High Performance Wood Filler" thinking "sounds high-tech"! Pried the cover off, smells just like...bondo. Doh! I just paid twice the going rate for wood dough colored .... bondo. Cool project BTW, looking forward to seeing the finished product. I always liked semi- hollows.

M.R. Ogle likes this.
  13. oldleftybass

oldleftybass

Jan 24, 2013
    Fully functional- and passable to look at. I'll have to wait for better weather to do the final finishing, but I've got a coat of paint (lacquer spray) over the old holes. WD made me a lefty pickguard. I have the new fingerboard side dot markers but they're not in yet. Woo Hoo!

20150322_150248_zpsvumwkbf1.jpg

20150322_150315_zps4drbdczg.jpg

bassdude51, MoeTown1986 and Tbone76 like this.
  14. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Wow!!! How does it balance as a reverse? Now I want a reverse righty! :D

15. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Me, too... exactly the same experience. But, hey... it's sorta wood colored.

16. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Great to see this unique JC bass in (more than less) finished shape. Why is the pickup mounted upside down? Not enough lead to keep it oriented correctly?

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Nice job, just wondering why you didn't fill that pickguard screw hole?

18. oldleftybass

oldleftybass

Jan 24, 2013
    See above in the thread. If you look at the bottom of the pickup its not symmetrical- there's a bar on one end. So I'm guessing that it's built that way for a reason (bass end-treble end?) and flipped it.

"All good things in all good time"! I'll most likely refinish the whole top this summer and catch all that stuff then- it's actually still pretty rough over the filled old control holes. It's going to be a player, not a case queen. ;)

bholder likes this.
  19. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    The pickup appears to be "handed", non-symmetrical, treble and bass sides are different. When I first looked at the backside of one, I noticed the same thing.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021