Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Casady bass quality?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Mar 12, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I played a Epiphone Casady today and it totally blew me away. So responsive and dynamic. Amazingly simplistic electonics design.
    What I wonder is about the quality. Do they hold an even quality level or did I just bump into a fantastic specimen?
    The one I tried was new but I was hoping to get a better deal on eBay or something.
    Ive read some reports on bridges that came loose. Is that common?
    Any info about this bass is welcomed!
    And as always pictures. :hyper:

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The screw that came up off my bridge is a result of the top of the bass not being flat and with the preassure you can sometimes see the grooves of the screw. I just added alittel apoxy some of the hard core kind of stuff and their has been no movment for over ayear. I think the Jack casady is the highest level of quality in a modern day epiphone bass. Hope this helps

3. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    What he said. The bridge mount thing looks like it'd be a big deal, but isn't. They are friction-fit into the body; if you get one and you notice them pulling out:

1. Take the bridge off (note exactly how far the posts are screwed in first!)

2. Pull the mounts out with some pliers, and apply a little glue in the holes (I used wood glue).

3. Press the mounts back in while the glue is still wet (make sure you make contact with the ground wire), and you're golden.

I love my Casady; it has become my Number One bass. Good luck.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ok, one less problem to worry about.
    Anything else I should worry about?
    The pots seemed low quality. How do you change pots in a bass like this? What ohm value are they?
    Also the tuners where not the smothest Ive seen. Might try Hipshots ultralights.

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    BTW which Hipshot ultralights will fit this bass?

6. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

The pots are actually of fairly good quality (I have seen worse in other basses, for sure!) But, they can be improved. If you are thinking of replacing them be warned: first, working on semi-hollow, f-hole basses is tricky! And...the pots are 2.5kOhm linear taper. That is quite low (part of what makes the Casady sound like, well, a Casady!). Finding pots of that low an impedence is a chore.
    You can push them to 5kOhm, which will give a little more high end detail (with the tone pot), but don't try to put the standard 250-500kOhm pots in there.
    Be noted that even low impedence, active EMGs have pots rated at 25kOhms, so the the pots on the Casady are especially low impedence.
    If you find a supplier (look in electronics dealers on the web, I have found a few) buy extras..just in case. This rating is not a standard and may be hard to find in the future.

Max

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks! 2.5kOhm is really low.