Casady Epiphone as main bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Sep 20, 2001.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Anyone use only this one or eaven only own that perticular bass?
    I want one but can´t afford to keep my Fender also.

Advise please.
  2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I've heard only good things about the Epi JC basses. :)
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Location dun did it now! :eek: You're probably gonna'
    get an earful from our resident Jack nut - Michael Jewels :).
    Forget about sliced bread! :p.

I've got one too (not for long ;) ). I could see it as a good
    all-around piece (with decent strings). Word is, Jack Casady
    uses (Dean Markley) Blue Steels. I got some pretty funky
    tones with Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats and GHS Precision
    Flatwounds. Just for grins, I even tried some nylon tapewounds
    (Rotosound 88LD). It almost sounded like a fretless - no
    fret "noise".

(only`burst pic I could find)

4. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for your answers and the pick.
    Is it still available in black? Anyone got pick of casadybasses in black?
    Pics of other colors are also welcomed to help me decide.
  5. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

MF only lists black on their website right now so that must be all they have in stock. I keep waiting for the rumored closeout so they will go to blowout prices or for another round of seconds to become available.
  6. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Oh yea, I have a JC also. And, until I got my Godin A4, it WAS my main solo/performance bass. It has a wonderful and unique tone...and not just in the traditional, deep, blues 'n roots kinda way. I play a rather chordal intensive solo bass style (remember that Solo Bass Looping Tour?) and the Casady works great in that scenario. Certainly, there is a depth in the tone, but it has a particularly smooth-voiced midrange (not honky, but present) which allows for chords and harmonics to really shine. The top end is also very distinct without being harsh.
    I was using TI flats for a while, and certaily was able to coax some fat 'n funky tones from this bass, but have now been playing with TI Jazz Rounds which impart a a bit more tonal distinction and flexiblity.
    Yes, I too heard Epi might be discontinuing this bass. Sadly, I don't think they marketed it well. It really shoulkd have been aimed at a pro market, as it is one truely unique, and soon-to-be classic bass. And, in fact, a number of touring pros have Casady's in their arsenal (usually set up with flats for the classic semi-hollow sound).
    By the far as construction goes, the Casady is head and shoulders above other basses in that price range. I was a bit concerned about the quality of a Korean made bass ( and Epi does not have the best reputation for these) but, in this case, they got it right.
    A great instrument...and it really looks cool, too!
  7. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive got a Casady and a Fender A Series P.I love them both!But,if i had to choose between them.The Casady would win.Its sound(SUPERB!!!!) is simply better for what i play,and the build quality is excellent.Granted,it couldnt take being dropped or abused as well as the P bass.But the tone is outstanding.Besides,P bass's(or any Fenders) are EVERYWHERE!I could easily replace it down the road if neccasary.With Epi's,you have to be carefull.Some are not so hot.Though the Cas seems to be an exception to this.Anyway,mine is flawless and ill never let it go.Good luck!
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    What's the pedigree on your Fender? I love my Jackbass but it would not be the last one left if I could only have one bass.
  9. I have the Gibson Les Paul Signature model that the Jack bass was modeled after, and I love that bass with a passion. With that in mind, I have only heard the best things about the Epiphone Jack Cassady version. I was actually able to play one a few weeks ago, and it had an incredible tone for the money. For once I think that Epiphone really nailed it on the head. I would have to agree in that it is sad that Epiphone may be discontinuing it. The truth is that the Gibson only ran the Les Paul Signature for a short time in the 70's as well. Neither model had a high production run. I guess I would pick it up new while you still can. Its a shame that there may not be more of these guys being sold.

10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    how much is it in the usa here ni italy the price is the corrispective of 800us$. i love that bass but it seems a little bit overpriced. i'm saving for a gibson sg standard guitar...
  11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Haha, no flames intended...

But how off topic is that? You're not only not talking about the Jack Cassady, you're talking about an electric guitar on

;) :D ;) :D
  12. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    yeah, i'm talking about a guitar... i have a GAS for that sg!!! i'm restarting to play guitar too and i feel better as a bass player. i love every electric instrument, i'm a two cent prostitute:D :D