Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Casady or other hollow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Jun 11, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Im looking at an Epiphone Jack Casady. I love the tone. But should I look at the Lakland Skyline holow too? Is it worth the price difference? Why? Any other contestants?

Also, I´d really like to see pics of a black Casady.
    Bring em on! :hyper:

2. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    There are several fairly strong advocates of the Epi "Allen Woody" bass on the Fender Discussion Page / Fender Forum. And this is from a pro-Fender contingent, so I think that says a lot. I think the Casady and Woody are similar.

(Edit - I just realized that you already are a regular on the FDP. So you already knew this.)

3. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    Another thought - Carvin has some reasonably-priced and very customizable semi-hollow basses. I have a semi-pro bassist friend who swears by them for an upright-bass type of sound.

Unfortunately, in Sweden it would be hard to find one to try out first. The only hands-on Carvins retail establishments are factory stores in Southern California.

4. I'll be the first to say Reverend; fat sound, great feel, fabulous neck and the price is right. I'm sure there will be a chorus of "Amens" coming along shortly.

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You may also want to look at the Godin A series basses. Excellent quality.

Dan

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I have an Allen Woody and it is a very good bass, but I think it is very different from the Casady as far as sound.

7. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I own a Gibson Les Paul Signature, an Epiphone Jack Cassady, and a Skyline Hollow Body. They are all excellent basses so you are heading towards a win, win situation. The Gibson LP Signature is a very special bass and does sound fuller and warmer that the JC, which is a Korean made copy of it. The Skyline HB has the wood construction in Korea then the USA components and setup in Chicago. I was hesitant to buy it because of the korean content but the fit and finish is superb as is that of the the JC bass. The Skyline is twice the price of the epi, and is it worth it? It just might be. The tone from it is full, deep and warm. The coil tap switch is a great feature, taking it from a fat humbucker tone to a sweet single coil tone. You can't go wrong with either. Having said that, I find myself picking up the Skyling HB more and more each day. If I could only keep just one, it would be the Gibson Les paul Signature, with out question or hesitation.

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks!
    It´s between the Skyline and the Casady right now. Can the Skyline sound like the Casady or will I be disappointed if I get it sight unseen? I love the Casady´s sound but the Skyline seems like a better bass. And probably more confortable too.

9. The electronics and theory behind the sound are quite different between the Casady and the Lakland.

Both do sound incredible though.

IF you can find one, and if you don't rule out 30" scale, the Rivoli II by Epiphone is an EXCELLENT bass. They don't make them anymore, but can be had @ 4-500 bucks, as was mine, and it didn't look like it'd ever been played.

Also, try the Ibeenhad Artcore for a low-dough alternative, yet really cool bass in its own right.

(Ima kiddin about the Ibeenhad comment... v:O)

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  11. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've been thinking about that Oscar Schmidt H/B bass but can't find any info. What's the scale length?
    I love hollow bodies, here's mine:
    Gibson EB-2
    Epihone Rivoli
    (3)Jerry Jones Longhorn
    Phantom Bill Wyman
    Hofner Beatle
    Epiphone Viola

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    34"
    here a clip of it, both PU/Neck/Bridge straight into a deck, no EQ
    Edit: sorry
    http://www.cutlasscom.biz/downloads/washburn.mp3

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have an Epiphone Jack Casady and it is one of the best semi hollow basses i have played, very reliable that is why it is my main 4 string. Quality on the Jack basses seems pretty consistent.

14. I must concur!

I've had my Casady for 3 1/2 years now, and I still love it. It has such a warm, woody tone, yet can get nasty sounding on its highest setting.

I haven't played the Lakland yet.

You can't go wrong with a Casady. ;)

Mike

15. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Im really leaning to the Casady. Played one for half an hour today. That bass made me play in a special way somehow. The sound is great. Like a P-bass but deaper, woodier and better IMO. Such a dynamic sound. Can anyone guide me in the color choice? I want to see a black one. Seems rare though. :meh: Any pics or links are welcomed.

16. Here you go, Jock. www.casadybass.com

I've always said the Jack Casady bass sounded something like a cross between a hollow body P-bass, and an upright with frets.

I think the only color choices you have now are gold or black. My bass is sunburst. I think I got one of the last ones.

Good luck.

Mike

17. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    The Jack bass has the warmest woodiest sound I can imagine an electric bass having. I think that it's a one of a kind.

The varitone switch is a great thing. Three great sets of tones.

On my bass, the tone and volume knobs are not worth squat, though. Not much action except at the extremes of the knob.

Pain in the butt, but the sound is so good, I'd never use the tone knob anyway.

18. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    The Epi JC is unique with its low impedence HB pickup. With the three settings you can get three different tones. I use 1/2 round strings which are flattened round wound strings on mine and they work really well. At the 500 setting it sounds like a regular single Humbucker equipped hollowbody and similar to tones from the Lakland. At the 50 setting it has a wonderful tone all its own. The Lakland has two Humbuckers with a tone cap, which is a great feature and offers a lot of tone possibilities. It is about the same size at the JC but much heavier. The neck is slimmer/thinner buy a little but the JC neck is very playable with a little wider string spacing, which can be good depending how you play (fingers/pick/slap/etc.). I think I would pick the Lakland over the JC, at the moment. It is a bit more unique, well built, sounds wonderful and in the single coil mode has a sweet tone that is extra, extra wonderful. The JC on the other hand has a signature tone that no other bass except the original Gibson Les Paul Signature can match. As I said before, you are in a win.win situation here as no matter which one you pick, you will have an outstanding bass yielding superb tone.
    My Epi is the rare Sunburst version, the Lakland Candy Apple Red and the LPS is a Gold Top. I hope this helps.

19. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    I loved the Allen Woody Epi for its tone but the 3 point bridge really really sucks. If I ever get my hands on a good replacement bridge I will buy another Allen Woody. Also, don't be shocked when your bridge pops out of the body. Its common with the Woody and Cassady basses. Nothing a lil super glue wont fix.

20. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I haven't had the problem yet with my Allen Woody, but I had that happen with my Epi EB-3. I used wood glue and it worked well. It seems to be a common problem on Epis.

I've had my '76 Gibson Thunderbird since it was new and the 3 point bridge has been fine, and I've never heard of a Gibson having that problem. I wonder why Epiphones do.