1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Casady & Oteil

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 3rdBass, Jul 25, 2007.

1. 3rdBass

3rdBass Funk in A Supporting Member

Saw Oteil & the Peacemakers open for Hot Tuna last night in a 1000 seat theater. Front row tix but opposite side of Jack. What can I say.....? Casady's an icon of course, but he humbly fills the role by making it look so easy and relaxed. He took off on a few solos that were by no means ripping but worthy of his reputation. I'm a SF native and have seen him in action since the early, early days of the Airplane, SVT and Hot Tuna. It was a real treat for them to play in this little city of Scranton, PA. Oteil played and sang lead in his opening set, very competent vocalist indeed. They played a rousing rendition of "Green Eyed Lady" that nearly got the crowd out of their seats dancing. My only disappointments, other than being on the wrong side of the stage, were the stately nature of the theater not lending itself to allow the audience to get up out of their seats. I should have just walked up front and stood in front of Jack. Before the set I did check out his rig and pedals, extremely simple Aguilar setup with a 2X10 + 15 and a Boss TU2 pedal tuner. I just missed having him autograph my newly acquired Epiphone Casady by 12 hours.....:crying: I received it this morning.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I wouldn't be too bothered about Casady, but I'd like to see Oteil, even if he's not a favourite of mine.

3. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Sounds like a great show. I's love to see Jack Casady, but, alas, they never seem to make it close to KCMO.

I did take the lessons online with him at www.breakdownway.com. I really love the solo he does on "Good Shepard" with Jorma--very cool and laid back. What a player! :cool:

4. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    You might also want to check out his full-length instructional video, which is also done with Jorma in the "breakdown" format. I've got a bunch of instructional videos, including numerous ones by famous players, and Jack's is far-and-away the best.

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    They are going to be here this weekend, I played a blues gig with the cat that books southeast gigs for them and Victor's solo gig, last Wednesday. Sounds like a blast, wish I could go.

6. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Cool--thanks for the tip :cool: