Casady Players.......I'm back!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maxvalentino, Oct 14, 2003.

1. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    You can count me in the Jackster's club. However, I was recently thinking about leaving because I have been getting frustrated with the string height on the Casady. Does anybody else have this problem? The 'A' string is much higher than the rest. I like low action, but since the a string is higher than the rest, that prevents me from lowering it to where I want. Has anybody moved the saddles around - the ones that are labeled 1 through 4? I'm thinking about doing that on my Casady. Thoughts or advice? I want to stay in the club!....

2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Dude, I think I've played that EXACT bass. Was the store in Santa Cruz Starving Musician? I messed around with that bass over the summer when i went to Santa Cruz for the day. It was amazing. I had the most rediculous urge to get a Jack.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    All of my strings were pretty well matched with each other allowing 'full-bridge' action adjustments that were satisfactory... Maybe you could try shimming the other three saddles to bring them more in line, (as opposed to filing down the offending saddle...)

I haven't gigged my Jack in ages, but all of this talk has me thinking that this weekend might be a turning point!! :D

-robert

4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Hey! Small world, ain't it? Yep, that was the bass at the Starviing Musician (which is a kinda misleading name considering the prices they have...) in SC. Fine bass2, and I am most pleased.

Max

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Gotta add me to the list. Clips at www.basstasters.com. Mine's sunburst, with a Jack-signed pickguard!

Just used the Cassidy into the Ashdown RPM-1 and WOW what a preamp for this bass! Like a match made in heaven.

6. where are the cassady clips? I can't find them...*sob*

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
  8. merci

I should hate this bass, I knew for sure I wanter a used rickenbacker, but now...maybe this...argh..the live of a bass-lover without money is soooooo hard...

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Vanselus you have somne good chops. That has happend with mine, kind of weird having that A above the other ones. So i just lowerd the whole bridge.

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    hey, thanks man! I appreciate it.

11. O.K. drd107 and Vanselus, you guys have been added.

Vanselus, I have to agree with Major Metal, you do have some nice chops there. ;)

Now at least there's a good audio clip that people can listen to, to get an idea of what a Casady sounds like.

I really liked your licks on the NS upright too.

Mike

12. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    Hey Michael - I just had my TB name changed ( I had registered under 2 years ago, but couldn't access my preferred handle);

Formerly Avignon, I'm now Yggdrasil

Yes I have 2 Casady Sigs - a goldtop with TI Jazz Flats and a Sunburst with Dean markley Blue Steel Rounds.

I also have a third one - a prototype Casady with a narrower neck(less than 1.5" at the nut) ; a non-connected varitone switch ,an indeterminate pickup, a non-connected toggle switch & a smaller headstock with no Sig on it (fitted with D'Addario Chrome Flats)- all that and painted in gold sparkle!

:D

Frank

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Frank AKA Popes palace;) How did you aquire a proto type. In your opinion what do you like least about the bass. I really dislike when i get a rattle inside becase of the wires that is annoying when playing unplugged. But over all a great bass, i would much rather play one of these then a acoustic bass. In my opinion this gets the acoustic tone better then a acoustic bass guitar.

14. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    I got it on ebay -

Gold Sparkly Quasi-Casady

Didn't know what I was buying, but I asked Jack 2 weeks ago & he said that in the beginning a number of them were made up to assess neck dimensions, etc & I have one of the rejected setups. I actually find it easier to play with the more "jazz" size neck & the pickup (whatever it is) has great tone; a bit more aggressive.The gold sparkle isn't all that "over the top" in person (but my wife would laugh if she read this).

What do I not like about my Casadys? - well the pulling out of the bridge, although that's easy to fix, loose wires as you have noted, the locknut on the jack always loosening, & silk over the saddles when properly intonated. Although, for this problem, I did buy some PC spacers to extend the strings behind the bridge - Gary Willis has this as a tip in his 101 Bass Tips (or whatever) book for increasing tension, but I think it'll work to bring the silk back behind the saddle as well.

Frank

15. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    You have that problem too?!? My repair guy made me this spacer bar thing with string holes in it to hook under the bridge and extend the string length.

Is Epi just drilling the bridge holes 1/8" too close to the neck or something?

16. O.K. there, Avign...er, I mean Yggdrasil :D
    I changed your name on the list. I also added my ol' buddy, Notduane; I'm pretty sure he still has his Casady.

Mike

17. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    You could always use strings that don't have the silk...

18. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    thanks guys for the suggestions where to find them in my area. I guess i can always order one from MF and if i dont like it return it. But im definately going to check out the city. I saw MF has it for 719. i guess thats a good price no?

Mike Jewels,
    The only one i saw in the metro area was in Hoboken late spring/early summer when the other bands bassist broke out a black one. I fell in love with it.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2022