1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cascading Envolope Filters?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Apr 2, 2009.

1. I'm interested in both the Subdecay Prometheus and the EMMA DiscumBOBulator. Cascading two of the same type of effect, especially something as dynamic as an envelope filter can be ugly, but I was wondering if there would be any potential merit to it.

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    sure, why not? you'll have to tweak the settings carefully but it can be awesome! I use my polyphase in envelope mode run into an EBS bassiq and it sounds awesome!

3. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    It can also be very cool running an up-sweep filter after a down-sweep filter, or vice versa. This works especially well if you put one filter in the effects loops of the other.

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Well, it can be fun to play around with and some filters in combination can give some interesting sounds, but by and large I've found it to be disappointing.

Assuming that they are both up filters, the first one opening up with generally open up the next one completely. The worst filter in this regard was the DOD FX25. You'd just peg it with that enveloped signal and you'd get that very thin, all the way open filter sound.

I don't want to discourage you from trying it, but just saying I haven't ever found a filter combo that worked well enough to actually use.

Now, what IS an awesome sound is to run two filters in parallel. If you have (or can get) a Boss LS-2, put a different filter in each loop and mix to taste. Especially fun if one is set as an up filter and the other down. IMO, that setup is MUCH more useful than running filters in series.

5. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    When I owned 2 Mutron III's I ran one into the other (one going up, one going down, though I can't remember which order) and it sounded pretty sweet!

6. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I used to run a BMS (down sweep) into a Q-Tron (up sweep) and that worked well, but they are two very different filters in both sound and behaviour. I had the BMS set to trigger on only very deliberate loud notes.

Similarly, BMS into Bassballs works great, but they are different animals.

7. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I don't like the sound of 2 parallel envelope filters at all. I'm surprised you had so much trouble running filter->filter, BigO.

It helps if you are using filters that have some kind of attack adjustment, though

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Not so much trouble as just not caring for the result. Well, I should clarify - not liking the result in a band context.

But two things to bear in mind here: (1) I've had a lot of filters, but I rarely have more than one at once so I haven't tried it all that much and (2) I have a strong preference for really wet filters. The combinations I've tried have been things like the AF-9 and 00Funk (which I currently have) and the DOD FX25 and Q-Tron. With these it just seemed like the envelope created was so big that it just maxed out the second filter and made it sound really thin.

But I remember having the LS-2 and the MXR Auto Q and really digging running another filter on the other side of the Boss. The Auto Q could be set for "shimmer" and just give some nice wetness to the tone while the real envelope sounds came from what was in the second loop. The DiscoBOB was a bit subtle but the AF-9 sounded great in that application.

Just my experience.

9. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I must try that.... I haven't had much satisfaction running an AF-9 into a Bottom Feeder.

10. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Agree, I never had luck getting a usable sound running one filter into another. The exception is running a "normal" type envelope (DOD FX25, QTron, etc) into a BassBalls.

Never tried using the LS-2, but I recently got a Parablender and been experimenting with running various effects in Parallel. Huge difference with much better results for me than running certain effects in series.

11. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I can imagine that a filter with a pronounced spike and a fast attack (af-9, q-tron, even fx25 at some settings) isn't going to play nice with others, especially if it is the first of two filters in a cascade.

I generally run a fast-ish attack, low-q envelope filter into a slower attack, higher Q filter in order to get the most out of both. This is probably the easiest configuration to get "munchies for your love" type effects with a reasonably broad range of useable settings. it makes a good starting point for experimentation (for the benefit of others reading this, I realize you have essed with this a bit already). To be fair, one of my current filters is an envelope phaser and that's probably a bit easier to get working with another envelope filter...

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sounds like some of you have had some success with the cascading filters. I've tried several combinations, and always felt disappointed with the results. At this point, I only own 2 filters, and they're on different boards.