1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Case alignment problem? Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, Nov 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I personally switched to gig bags, so I can vouch for that option... perhaps in conjunction with a nice umbrella?

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  2. LUCE

LUCE

Jan 9, 2015
    Denver, CO
    Crappiest cases ever offered by Fender. I have an '07 with one of these. Pitch it and get a G&G.

Hoochie Coochie Man likes this.
  3. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    A gig bag will also give you some carrying options, as well as pocket space for cables and such, and be a lot more comfortable. The Mono bags, like the Vertigo or the M80, are practically waterproof. I have carried my bass in one through the most vile downpour, without a drop of water getting in.

4. Or, an SKB ATA style case. I have three of the Fender branded SKB ATA style cases that came with my new American Deluxe basses. You could run over them with a car and not damage the instrument. I also bought the same type for my Gibson SG guitar. That one cost about $100. Well worth it if you own a nice instrument.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    LUCE likes this.
  5. I'd guess by your pics that the hinge has started to pull its rivets or simply been bent out of shape. You could find some soft weather stripping to glue to the rim where it's separated or just get another case. Unless you toss your bass around or it rides in the back of a pick-up a decent gig bag is a better option. Easier carry, more storage and you can't ruin them by stepping on or tripping over them.

6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    And the trade-off is that they don't protect as well.

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Started using gig bags when I ran short of cases and didn't want to spend the money for basses that sat a lot. One day I accidentally stepped on a gig bag and cracked the head stock of the bass inside. I stillk use them, but only when I have to for space reasons. I recently bought an old work van with a gutted cargo bay so space is no longer a rea lissue, but sliding around on the floor is so I'm pretty much back to my SKB 44 cases.

As for your case issue, if it's sprung you can kinda sorta straighten it back out but it takes some doing.

8. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. if from '07, yours would be the lightest duty of the three generations of these shape ... both the other two are quite a bit more substantial .. the rectangular cases Fender used in the mid 80's was right there with the quality of yours, as the tops usuallly became warped/wavey, and it is tough to find any still around with feet left on them ... ;)

LUCE likes this.
  9. LUCE

LUCE

Jan 9, 2015
    Denver, CO
    I have one of those'80s jobs too. You are correct in this respect as well.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021