1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Case/bag for Avalon U5?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I recently bought a new Avalon U5 DI. Beautiful unit - and I intend to keep it that way.

Since it doesn't come with a case or gig bag, I'll need to get something in which to transport it and protect it. I don't want to rack it. I'd consider having a custom head case built for it. But what I really prefer is a deluxe, heavy-duty gig bag - something in black cotton and/or nylon with around 2-3 inches of protective foam all around.

Anyone here happen to find just the perfect bag for an Avalon U5? If so, care to share make & model?

Thanks,

MM

2. ryanrex

ryanrex

May 26, 2008
    If you want a flight case cheap check by your local audio companies and backline companies sometimes they have used cases laying around that they no longer have a use for, even if they aren't perfect fitting you can always refoam it. and you can usually pick them up between 25-75 bucks.

but maybe an orange dual terror gig bag would work...

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Subscribed

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I had mine in one of those Aguilar 2-sp padded shoulder bags. Worked great. Lots of people make them, IIRC. Gator, SKB, etc..

5. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    You might want to look into those black padded nylon bags used for pedalboards. Some of those might do the trick. Or, you can look for small, carry-on types of luggage. I'm currently using such a piece for my U5. It's one of those wheelie bags with the collapsible handle. The extra outer pouches are ideal for the AC cable and any other connectors you might be using (like a short XLR cable).

The unit itself is quite heavy, so you might want to looking into the softer case options rather than getting a custom hard case made (or purchased).

Just some opinions.

6. 61pollmann

61pollmann

Apr 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I use a pistol case. Got the tip from Walter Woods himself. I've used it to carry an Avalon U5, a WW amp, Mark Bass head, or an Acoustic Image head. I believe the brand is Docosil(not sure of spelling).

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    One local to Portland band carries it in a rather small, maybe childs sized suitcase. I assume there is padding inside. they just take it out and put it on the suit case lying flat. Kinda of a retro thing called The Strangetones - it fit's the vibe pretty well.
    I'm going the roll aboard route myself...

8. What about those bags phoographers use to carry their cameras and lenses? Maybe you can find one big enough to carry your U5

9. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    That ought to be loads of fun, trying to get it past the TSA people at the airport... :p

Seriously, I'll consider it. At least for ground travel...

There's an idea... :meh:

MM

10. LM Cases

LM Cases

Feb 17, 2012
    Hey guys, check this out. Pelican cases are waterproof and have a lifetime guarantee. Plus, its only slightly more expensive than the rack kit. -Billy

Avalon U5 Pelican Case

11. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Very interesting... :meh:

As fate would have it (Murphy's Law?), I finally picked up a hard case for my Avalon U5 - just this week (received it only yesterday). It's one of the SKB "i-series" pro audio cases. Mine is the SKB 3i-1813-5 (18.5" x 13" x 4.75"). Here it is:

SKB 3i-1813-5

MC_3I-1813-5B-N.

[​IMG]

The SKB doesn't have the foam inserts in the right places to protect the front & rear panel knobs & switches, as does the Pelican case. But it does fit the U5 quite snugly nevertheless, and is (barely) large enough to accommodate three of my other DI units as well. So with everything wedged in there tightly, and just enough foam overhead and underneath to clamp onto everything when the lid is closed, my DIs won't rattle around in there at all.

Billy, what is the price of the Pelican case anyway? I searched all around the LM website. Couldn't find it anywhere... :meh:

MM

12. LM Cases

LM Cases

Feb 17, 2012
    Mike,

We generally dont sell direct to the public which is why we dont list prices. The foam insert is our design, not a stock Pelican item. I can cut you an insert for your SKB case if you are interested. I listed my contact info below.

Billy LaGuardia
    billL@lmcases.com

13. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS / KIRLIN CABLE
    Hey Billy,
    How does one order one of these cases?

14. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Pelican is awesome! I use a foam-fitted Pelican 1400 for my ToneBone BassBone. I also have a section for cables and the wall-wart. I use Top-Case (located in the Twin Cities) Top-Case.com