Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Case for a GK 1001 RB??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gregmon79, Feb 18, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Illinooooiiissssssssss
    Do any of you know if they make a carrying case for the GK 1001 RB?? I just got home from a jam night and its quite rainy out. It didn't get douched but it got some drops on it and was wondering if they make a case for this thing. Not a rack but a case. Links are very welcome. Thanks!!

2. Mine was in a Gator case.

3. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Some friends had one of the 1001 combos. I guess the speakers got damaged along the way so somewhere they found a head "shell" for it and mounted it in that. I don't know if it's just a "stock" size (seems like it would just be a 2U rack job) or what. Seems to work fine though.

4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

G-K used to have a bag for them but I don't see it listed anymore.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    They used to make one. I know cuz I have it. :) But it's got a backline 600 in it and I would only sell the 2 together. If you have any interest in the 2, let me know and either make me an offer, or I'll see what what they're going for an put a price out. The backline has only been used a handful of times (had it as a backup) and is in excellent condition. So is the case. The case looks like this, but I googled it.

[​IMG]

6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Just out of curiosity, why not a 2 unit, shallow rack? If you absolutely can't have a rack for aesthetic reasons, you might want to check out something like the Producer Bag by Mono. It's spendy, but looks pretty awesome.

http://www.monocase.com/mono-efx-producer.asp

7. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Do yourself a favour and get a rack unit. I use a 4 space but a 2 space should be ok. If aesthetics are an issue then maybe screw aesthetics. It's an expensive piece of musical equipment, not your groceries. It belongs in a sturdy rack unit, not a padded sack.

Sure there are a lot of amps that are being made to fit in gig-bags today, especially micros, but you ever hear that expression "the bigger they are, the harder they fall"? In my humble opinion a 1001 in a padded bag is only slightly less of a disaster waiting to happen than having no bag at all. But, it will keep the amp dry!

8. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Chef did a review of a soft bag (Gator I think) in one of the recent GK club mega threads...

=wr=

9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Illinooooiiissssssssss
    Thanks all, I suppose a rack would probably be the way to go after hearing some of your comments.

10. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    I use a shallow 3 space Gator rack case for my 700RB II (same size). Gig bag style soft cases just seem to risky.

11. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Do not use a 2 space rack.
    These amps need a bit of extra space above them for the fan to pull air in.

12. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I built this when I had a 1001RB

[​IMG]

13. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    +1 but i think i'd put it in a 3 space rack just to promote a little air circulation.

14. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    3 space would be good for sure. A 2 space will work fine since the fan on top is intake and the front grill behind the logo is the out. It pulls plenty of air through the back of the rack case. We practice for up to 6 hours and it never gets close to anything that resembles hot.

15. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Illinooooiiissssssssss
    Thanks dougwray, I ordered one today! Do you have one of these? How is it?

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I currently have mine in a two space SKB (non roto); there's plenty of room around the intake on top for it to pull from...I did ask GK about this, and they said 1/2" of space is the minimum they'd recommend.

17. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Good to know.
    I was just going by the manual: "For proper ventilation, make sure there is at least 8” of clearance above the unit
    for combos and 1.75” (one rack space) of clearance above the unit for heads."
    But in hindsight, I guess this applies to mounting another unit above the amp.
    I've never owned a commercially built rack, so I have no idea how much open space there is at the top of a two space rack.

I'd read in the old G-K users forum that one should allow at least 1/2 rack space, so that's how much space I allowed when I built my box.

18. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Illinooooiiissssssssss
    Hey chef, can you take a look at the link above the guy left from rondo music. I ordered this gig rack bag and it'll be here soon. It really wasn't that expensive so I'm not too worried if it doesn't work out but I'd still REALLY like it to none the less. I need something to protect my baby.

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I looked at it. No way for me to know if that's ok or not.
    You'll just have to shove the head in there and see if there's enough room over the fan intake.