Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Case for Contra

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Robert Sabin, May 7, 2001.

1. I was checking out Bob Golliur and the AI Contra carrying case that he carrys. I'm looking for something that might be suitable for traveling, when I have to check my gear into baggage with an airline. Has anyone used this or any other case for such a purpose? What's the best way to go?

2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I think someone here once suggested one of those plastic drum flight cases. I don't know which size, but you should add some space for padding I guess. Maybe floor tam size. Sounded like a smart solution for air transport.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    FYI, the AI case is a nice Levy's padded 14x14 tom-tom case with the AI logo on it. You may want to look into a hard case for such a drum, although many aren't really flight cases. However, you'd think that some "stock" ATA 14x14 cases might be suitable, and I suspect that form-fitting support foam would be necessary. If you don't find anything and haven't a source, I did get a nice bass case from a NY outfit called Discount Cases something (forget their name, but they advertise in the back of most Bass Player mags) and they make custom boxes.

4. I have the AI cases for both my AI contra and the extension speaker, and I don't think I'd check them in as baggage. The cases are too soft for that. They do a great job of protecting the contents when handled with reasonable care (and my cats think they're great for scratching posts!) by I don't think they would handle the abuse which they'd invariably get from baggage-handlers (the AI cases, that is :> ). Hard-shell cases are what is called for - but h/s cases = mucho $$$$$ :<

- Wil

5. contrabajisimo

contrabajisimo

Feb 9, 2004
    Chicago
    Can anybody suggest a retailer that carries soft padded cases for the older version of AI Contra combo? Mr. Gollihur carries the ones that fit the II series unfortunately. Thanks.

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    You can get a Levy's 14x14 tom tom case as a substitute. It is the same except that it lacks the shoulder strap.

7. My marching band has hardshell snare cases that lack padding but have the strap. You could throw some small pillows in there and that might work. dont know about prices though....

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If you're going to fly, check out Anvil cases and their counterparts. The classic solution.

9. contrabajisimo

contrabajisimo

Feb 9, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks, I'll check out the drum cases.