Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Case for Ibanez AGB140 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the low one, Apr 18, 2005.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I'm looking for a case for an Ibanez AGB140 semi acoustic bass but it's proving harder than I thought. Ibanez make one (code AGB100C) but I live in the UK and these don't get imported.
    Any ideas ?

2. Nazman

Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Well, you get one ordered and send it to me and I can ship it to you..How much is shipping I wonder? I wonder if guitar center in Dallas has one..Would you ike for me to check the Guitar Centers here for you? :bassist:

3. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    That's very kind of you, thanks. I'm just checking an on-line shop in mainland Europe who has one so I may be OK. I'll come back to you soon.

4. Nazman

Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Ok, let me know if I can help

5. When i got back home from the US with me EDA in a generic case, the case was ****ed, nice to see people at airports understand what fragile means . . . anyway, i got a friend in the US to buy one and ship it over, case was $110 (i think), and it cost $130 to get packaged and shipped, so not to bad i spose, i did get nailed with £25ish on import and Vat tho :(

6. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    Loads of places here in the UK sell the Ibanez AGB140 but not the case.
    I got mine from Thomann, and it's the best price I found as well.

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    You guys like that bass?

I picked it up once in a store, and I was very impressed.
    Very nice bass. Nice piano-type tone coming out of the one I played. Tons of sustain.

8. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    Beautiful to look at, and own.
    Big round sound. Fruity, put some flats on it.

The curious thing is that loads of places sell the bass which 1/. doesn't fit any standard case, and 2/. will not take kindly to being knocked about in a flimsy gig-bag.

9. blujax01

blujax01

Nov 16, 2005
    Wow, this thread is like DaJaVu all over again. I just bought the AGB140 last week and am having a ball with it. I am a relative newby (also a drummer, also named Alan!) and was looking on the Net for a case as neither Guitar Sinner nor Sam'a @ss had one. Before I buy, I wanted to see the case and the pictures I've seen tell me nothing like, is it plastic, chipboard or Tolex? Would I do better to buy an aftermarket or genuine Ibanez?

I also am interested in putting flatwounds on but know next to nothing about which ones to buy. I looked at Jamersons but read here that they are high tension and I would need a new set up.
    Like I said, I'm a relative newby, so be kind...

10. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    Hello blujax01; if that's your given name your parents had a sense of humour.

Deja vu?? Didn't someone just say that???
    I'm still waiting for the release of 'Groundhog Day 2'.

Yes my name is Alan too, spelled the correct way. of course ;-)

As regards the case; as I said the AGB140 will not fit the usual cases/gig-bags, which are based around Jazz/Precision shapes.
    I e-mailed Hiscox cases to ask if they made a case to fit, about five weeks ago. Reply came there none.

After rooting about the net I found www.thomann.de who sent the case for 99 Euro (incl vat and shipping). Their service was immaculate and it arrived in about a week, including the bank holiday. And the best price I found, too.

The case is very solid. I don't know what it is made of, (somesort of hardboard I'd guess? With a curved lid to accomodate the arch-top) but is very robust and well finished with a sort of grained leathercloth. It is lined with crimson/pink plush and has a handy sized compartment for all the essentials. This is situated in the hollow under the guitar neck, and is shaped to give support too.
    I think it is great value to save such a pretty instrument from heartbreaking damage.

I use Rotosound flatwounds, standard gauge RS77LD which I bought from www.stringbusters.com
    They are based in West London. I paid £20+£1 postage. Bargain! And they arrived by post in two days.

I have no connection with any of the above names, I'm just giving my best advice.

All the best, Alan

ps. where are you? I'm in Enfield.

11. blujax01

blujax01

Nov 16, 2005
    Thanks for the reply, we "Alan"s need to stick together! I went ahead and ordered an Ibanez case through Guiter
    Center, it took 9 days to get here and cost $100 plus tax American. It fits like a glove and I'm glad I went that route. Make by TKL in Canada, mine has a blue fur interior and a lifetime guarantee.
    I just put a set of Rotosound 77 flats on mine, and it's a whole different feel and sound. I like it!
    PS: I'm in Ohio. The original spelling of my last name was "Slocomb" but it was Americanized generations ago.

12. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    Hi Alan, the case does fit beautifully.
    I'd been boring everyone at work with talk of my new bass, so I took it in for them to see what I'd been babbling about.
    What amused me was that every time I lifted the lid to show the guitar to a woman, she stroked the lining of the case.
    It's a sensual thing :)

All the best, Alan

13. jacobmyers

jacobmyers

Aug 28, 2007
    Jackson, MI
    I got an AGB140 last month (I'll be ordering the AGB100C soon). I ordered a set of RS77LD strings for it this past weekend. I was searching the forum for people's opinions of the strings and it's interesting to see that others have done exactly what I'm planning to do. What are your results?

I'm hoping that the tension of the RS77 is far higher than the Dean Markley medium-gauge flats I have on it now. The DM's are quite floppy and I have to take the bridge higher than I'd like to avoid smacking the strings on the end of the fingerboard. The strings should be arriving today, so I guess I'll find out then.

14. brupo

brupo

Nov 19, 2012
    The Roto Jazz string sound really good, and feel nicely smoothe. I'm used to their String Bass 66's, and like the Jazz's, but must say that the tension doesn't favor fast passages, as they play like sticks rather than strings. Just fitted my AGB140 with JHS PressureWounds, and like these.