1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Case Humidifiers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stampy, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    I got some questions about them, I honestly really didn't even knew they existed until I read another post about temperature. I would love to protect my new Fender(most expensive bass I have) the best I can. I stays inside the hardshell case at all times when not in use. My room almost always stays between 60-70 degrees. But now here in CT we have to crank our heaters on since its starting to get somewhat cold. Heater comes on humidity goes down. So are they really worth it especially in the northern parts. When I was searching I saw a post that a bass got damaged due to having one. I just want to protect my bass the best I can. Last winter when I had my Ibanez's they would need to be tweaked a bit every few weeks, maybe thats because the quality isn't as good.

2. batman1

batman1

Sep 14, 2007
    it might just be the quality of the other basses. I live in Indiana, and my Warwick has survived the seasons quite well over the last couple years (have never had to adjust the neck). However, my cheaper spector model's neck always gets all outta wack. I've never owned a fender though...

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I think hollow bodies are the most sensitive to humidity changes. If you don't have a humidifier on your furnace in the winter time, it might be an idea. My Rickenbacker has survived the past 16 years or so quite nicely with no need for seasonal truss rod tweaks or any other humidity related issues. Like wise my Carvin (A hollow body BTW) and my more recently acquired Fender.

I have only heard the horror stories about in case humidifiers, but you have to take that with a grain of salt, because people just don't talk about it when things don't go horribly wrong.

IME (30 years worth) A humidifier is a unnecessary unless you have a dry house and a very nice double bass.