Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Case latch replacement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbrist, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Unfortunatly I had to break into my own guitar case. Don't ask why. Anyway my question is; Can the latchs be replaced or should I throw it away?
    Thanks,
    jbrist

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You can also go to your local luggage store/repair dept. They should be able to help you too.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Same thing with me, bought my P-bass used with case, the only problem is the previous owner had to break in. It's one of those G&G Vintage Tweed cases and they're riveted. What to do about this?

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Drill out the rivets to remove the old latch, using a drill bit smaller than the rivet. Start of small, you are shooting for the size of the shaft, not the size of the head of the rivet. After they are removed and you install the new latch, you can pop-rivet the new latch in place. Pop rivet guns can either be rented, or you can buy a cheapie one that will get the job done for about $15 at any hardware store.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds easy, now does anyone know where I can get the latches that you pull the tabs out and spring open? :)

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I would also like to know, I got a C&G vintage case that has a bad catch. I need one too!:(

7. Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll be able to salvage the case at a reasonable cost.
    Thanks again,
    jbrist

8. Warhawk

Warhawk

Jan 31, 2003
    Canton, Ohio
    I had to replace one of the spring type latches on my G&L's case. I found the same type and size latch on an old suitcase. Works great!