Case of the "EXPLODING" Wall Warts

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by firebass 1, Jan 2, 2006.

1. firebass 1

firebass 1

Dec 16, 2005
    I know someone out there has experianced this:

You've just finished pounding out the the second to the last tune in your 3rd set and your guitar player bends his G string out so far it snaps. You take an early break and go get a cold one. UPP... "Time to get it on again". As you make sure your drink is nice and full and get back to your rig you reach down to turn on a power strip filled with wall wart plugs and ZAPPPPP0!!! PPPFFFF!! FLAMES!!!! All the plugs are blackend and the whole circit is fried.

Can Anyone guess what caused such a light show....?
  2. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    You spilled beer didn't you.
  3. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    China is getting better, but I've had my share of wall warts that have exploded ...

In China, you can buy any level of quality electronics ... it's just that they low end is incredibly awful, unreliable and dangerous (but getting better).

We even had a problem in Hong Kong last year with exploding mobile phones. The problem was aftermarket batteries, which are often (maybe always) mislabeled as OEM ... the bad ones may not be wired properly, and if they short, they explode. Nokia got serious and started chasing after the counterfeiters, and now you don't see too many aftermarket Nokia batteries.
  4. :eyebrow:
  5. firebass 1

firebass 1

Dec 16, 2005
    I'll give a hint. Remember the Guitar player.
  6. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    hmm...the broken string was draped across the warts?
  7. Yes. I believe it was the guitarist's fault too...
  8. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Yea the G string was shorting out the circuit
  9. firebass 1

firebass 1

Dec 16, 2005
    Yep! You got it.. the G string made of nickel is one of the best conducters there is. It took a while just to figure it out. So All you 2 timing guitar players out there pick up your strings! As for bass players "E" strings make great cable chains for winter and/or you should always keep one on hand for a tow strapp.....
  10. old strings have great uses, don't throw them away, you can hang art perfectly with them
  11. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Eh, before the G string was said was the right answer, I was about to say that the G string caused a no load in the outlet, which was most likely pretty hard to do (get both ends in teh outlet).

I don't even know what a wall wart is though...
  12. firebass 1

firebass 1

Dec 16, 2005
    Wall Wart: The extra option to not buy batteries or the male plug to power your equipment. As for getting the ends in the outlet, the stray string only has to lay agianst the power strip and the "wall wart" and poof!
  13. plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i used to work with a guy who took all of my old bass strings and handmade fishing lures out of them. he swore by them.