Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Case or Bag. Lets do it again.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Feb 13, 2006.

1. I'm interested to see how many guys opt for the bag over a case. I ordered a custom G and L L2000 and it comes with a case but I was thinking of losing the case for a bag. G and L also sells bags.

So. Lets have it. Wadda ya think?

2. Depends on the circumstance. If it's a Fender/MusicMan/G&L or something in that area, and I'm going to practice, I might use a bag. But at shows when it's being carted around with a bunch of other equipment, hard case is best. Too much can happen. Also, definitely a hard case for semi-hollows, set necks, etc.

3. I use my bag for taking my bass to school when as soon as I'm done with it I can stash it away safely in the storage room. Anytime I know that when its out of my sight, its safe, I use a bag.

Now, when I'm going somewhere with the jazz band, I'll ALWAYS use a case, even though sometimes I can get it on the bus with me instead of on the eqipment truck. Better safe than sorry

4. cases are heavy, i only have gig bags too, and now that i think about it, i dont see why i'd ever use a case over a bag

5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

WHY?

6. tomfouts

tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    i have a case and a bag....

a bag is much easier to lug around. Especially to school or to band practice, but then again i use my hardshell for gigs.

It all depends on how much/where you go with your bass

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Do we have to do it again?

Rob

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Case for home and a good padded gig bag for the gig.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just curious major metal, why the preference..bags easier to carry? Lighter?

I use cases when i can.

10. Nope. Every one else can though.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi FigJam

With a Hard Case it can take up alot of room at a gig and it can get to be an awkward balancing act but right now all the basses i take out come out in their Hard Shell because i dont have a real good gig bag that i would trust my Sadowsky in.

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Case.

I have a daughter who is autistic. She can destroy nearly anything (except my Steinie).

'nuf said.

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
  14. case for shows, practice, travel, everything

but at my house, there on stands.

15. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    arent there like.. those new cases that are half bag, half case.. i forgot the name, but theyre coming back into the market soon.

does anyone know what i'm, talking about?

theyre like, super strong bags.

16. A case is definitly more protective but as Major said they can be awkward and take up alot of room. A really padded case should protect the bass well enough but I guess its good to have at least one good case.

Major, have you thought of the upgrade to the Tolex? I wonder if its worth it. I should get Matts opinion too.

17. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I prefer cases 100% of the time. I'd rather deal with being awkward than having to worry that if I bumped anything if there's any damage.

18. A good hardshell case ALWAYS over a bag. Always. Unless you WANT it banged up.

19. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yup.