Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Case problem... strange but true!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dreadhead, Jan 25, 2003.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello! I've just got an Alembic with the usual Single Point body shape and the 34" scale.
    The bass came with a Warwick GigBag, that fits it but that doesn't protect the bass as it does deserve to be... so I wanted to get a hard case.
    THe problem is that the bass is both longer and larger than a standard one... so it doesn't fit standard cases. How could I solve the problem? I could get an original Alembic case, but it's really expensive!
    Thanx.

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I've seen other cases that you can order that would fit the oversized Alembics, including the point body. Most of the ones I've seen though are just as expensive as ordering a case from Alembic. Calzone has a great road case. Again, mega bucks. The price for the case at Alembic is listed at $275. I'm sure you can swing a better deal if you talk with Mica about it.

Getting it delivered to Europe will add some cost. You may want to consider emailing some of the shops in Europe that sell Alembic and see if they can scare up a used case.

Don't think I've been much help on this one, but if you talk to Mica and maybe to some of the European distributors, something will shake loose.

Peace,

James

BTW - I'm assuming this means you sold the small body / short scale and bought one of the Mark Kings? If you haven't sold the small body, there's a guy here at TB looking for one.

3. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Thanx James! I did think about asking to european Alembic dealers, but I'm pretty sure they would charge more than the list price for the case I need... and to be truthful, I would never spend that much for a case, even if it's a beautiful, shock-proof one.
    I did trade the Small Body for another Series I, though... I guess I'll never give up changing my bass! ;)

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'm sure I don't have to say it, so I won't

Yes I will PICTURES PLEASE! :p

5. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I'm sure you already know this bass... however I still don't have decent pics, sorry!

6. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    When I bought my Karl Hoyt 4 string it came in a very old case with hardly any support.

As I knew that I was about to ship it from NY to Dublin, I needed something better, but couldn't afford a custom build case.

I stripped out the insides of the old one and replaced them with foam cut to the exact shape of the bass. I covered the (green) foam with a couple of square yards of black velvet glued down.

Total cost was about $20 - 25, most expensive part of all was the glue.

It doesn't look too pretty, but works really well.

Let me know if you need more details.
    Andy

7. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, the problem is that the bass is bigger than a standard case... it's huge!! I was thinking about getting a keyboard case... ;)

8. You can try these guys: I-Beam Cases
    If that doesn't work for you there is another custom manufacturer in the Michigan's UP. Not sure of the name right now but it should be findable on Google.

9. bassochist

bassochist

Dec 28, 2002
    Earth
    yeah go on down to the funeral home...
    "hey there i need to buy a coffin for me poor deceased instrument here... may he rest in peace...

you could have a funeral service and everything...

i think a keyboard case would work if you just take out the padding and all and replace it with padding cut to the shape of the bass.

i do believe you can get foam padding at your average do it yourself home repair store.

10. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I'll certainly look at the site... even if I guess that shipping wouldn't be cheap (I live in Europe)...

11. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    coffin cases come in many diffrent sizes and are pretty cheap when it comes to cases, maybe you should check it out.

12. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I would like them, but I'm pretty sure that my bass is too big! I'll check out the measurements, though!